Chapter 30 Its over

There was no way that we could stay in that building. We wouldn't be safe. The best way was for her to get out as fast as we could. Shawn thought it would be better for us to split up so we wouldn't track a lot of attention or be slowed down as a group. I try to talk him out of it but in the end, he won.

Splitting up is a sure fire way to be killed. Come on Rayna you can't think like this you have people counting on you. You can get through this you have before. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "Ms. Rayna are you okay?" "Yeah, I am fine. Thank you love." "Do you know what's going on?" "Yeah are we going home. I promise you that."

I didn't want to lie to them but I didn't want to tell them the truth. However, I'm not too sure what is really going on. "I don't want you guys to worry. Everything is going to be fine. I will make sure to keep you all safe while we are out here. I promise that you guys will make it home. I put that on my life." "But what happened?" "The power went out during the storm." "Why did we have to split up?" "Yeah, and why couldn't we all get on the bus?"

These kids were young so I know they didn't fully understand what Shawn had explained at the meeting in Mckinly hall. When we decided to leave the cabin that we were in Shawn made the decision for me to take the smaller kids. He suggested that I would be able to handle them in a more gentle and compassionate manner then he could. And being that there wasn't that many of them I agreed. Sure they were small and didn't really understand what was going on but they couldn't possibly slow me down as they would him.

"Well, something happened and they thought it was best to try and get as many people out of camp as they could. We all stayed behind because there just wasn't any room on the bus. We split up because it will be safer to travel in smaller groups." "So, where are we going?" "I'm going to try and get us out of here." "Are we going home?" "Not yet but we are going to a safe place."

I planned on taking them to the spot where Shawn and I went when this happened to us 15 years ago. It was the only place I knew they could fit and be safe. Once I leave them there I will go back for Shawn. The rain was really helping. It was harder to cover our tracks because of the mud but it was also hard to see us. 

We heard screams far off into the distance. Those type of screams were all too familiar. "What was that?" I don't know and I don't want to find out. "Come on let's keep going." 

The sky was getting darker and the air was getting colder. I heard some strange noises outside so I decided to take the kids inside; hoping whomever or whatever that was would pass us by quickly so we can hurry on. "Okay, we are going to go inside and take a quick rest," I whispered to them. I was trying my best to not to let them know that something wrong was going on. 

We have only been walking for about 30 minutes since we were all the way in the back of the camp. I knew we couldn't go back inside any of the cabins. There were only a few safe spots that Shawn had set up and we already left one. It just wasn't a good idea anymore to stay at the back of the camp.

We had just made it to the front of the boy's cabins. And the only place over here that we could go inside is the mail room. We walked in and there was a pool of blood on the floor. Mail was scattered all over the place. We heard screaming just outside the mail room. I grabbed the kids and hid behind something. "Miss Rayna I'm scared." "I know, I know." All of a sudden the door burst opened. I had to cover Cody mouth just to keep him from screaming.

After the door was slammed it sounded as if someone was losing their balance. Things started to fall to the floor. I heard heavy breathing like someone was tired. The dropped to their knees. We sat so down low that we never got a look at their face. Until the door slammed shut again.