Chapter 27 Open for killing

Today is the first day of camp. Camp Lakeview will be opening its doors in over 15 years. Shawn has been running across the camp making sure that everything runs smooth. I can understand his nervousness. I was there with him 15 years ago. I heard the talk around town after everything happen. The plans to reopen the camp took a lot of convincing from his father.

Trying to access the blueprints, the buying of the land and to greenlight its relaunch to the public wasn't a joke. A lot of people had their doubts and dared not to send their kids here. The ones who survived grew up. It's our kids that would be coming here. However, I don't blame them. This camp stole our innocence from us.

I was standing in the back watching Shawn give a speech to the new camp counselors. Sort of a pep talk before the kids arrive on the buses. To say that I was proud of him would be an understatement. The strength that he shows is unbelievable. I'm just glad I was here to witness it.

Shawns little speech

"We chose this group of people to work here because we believe in your ability to work with children. We are trying to change what went on here years ago and spread love, light, and positivity in the daily lives of these kids. A lot of these kids don't have a lot of things to look forward to. Their hope is in this camp. They are here to have a great time and forget about the things that they have going on back home. This camp will be their safe haven."

"I know some of you have heard of the rumors that went on at this camp 15 years ago. Some of you were just babies or may not have been born yet. I'm here to tell you that those are not rumors because I lived through those moments. I don't want these kids to live the same thing that I did."

"We have been training you guys for months now and I see that you all have what it takes to make sure that the dreams of these kids will not die. If you guys have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask. My office is always open and you can speak to the camp director when I'm not around. I don't want this place to just be a fun place for the kids but to you as well. I want this to be a fun place for you to work at. I want you to be able to get up and be ready to work. But I want you to be happy to be ready to work. I want to thank everyone who has made this possible and lets open up this camp."

Everyone begins to clap after Shawn was done speaking. The Camp Director and Assisting director let all the counselors know where to set up and to pick up their schedules and group activity handouts and what not.

"So how did I do?" "It was great. Your father would be proud." "I sure hope so. I don't want to let him down. This is the first project that he let me have complete control over you know.

We were all on our way to greet the kids and the families as they were coming off the bus. "Are you nervous?" "Very, it took a lot to convince people to consider letting their kids come to this camp." "I bet." "I mean if I'm able to come back here what is it to stop someone else. I lived through it. We lived through it and look at us." "Shawn I'm sure there are kids on the bus. Everything is going to be fine."

I understood where Shawn was coming from more than anybody obviously. Rebuilding this camp had to be hard on him. The things we both went through here... But Shawn has always been strong. He knows how to put his feelings aside for other people. No matter what he is going through he would drop it all for someone else. It's like others pain are even greater than his.

We watched the busses and cars pull onto the road leading down to the camp. "Well, this is it." "No, turning back," Shawn said. 

"I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming here today. I know what may happen here years ago was a tragedy. But it was that years ago. I can assure you that this camp is different. That this time it will be different. I don't want another family to go through the same thing as mines did. But we are here to celebrate the new opening of Camp Lakeview. I welcome you and hope that you have a great summer."