Chapter 9: What Happened to You?

After being yelled at by Cutlip we were back in the nurse cabin getting my ankle checked out. Counselor Sarah came in to speak with us. "What were you kids doing out there in the woods alone?" None of us said anything. "I know Cutlip yelled at you and he can be a little mean but I'm only hear to help you guys." "We were looking for big foot!" Kirk shouted. Leave it to Kirk to come up with the most dumbest answer. "If you can't be honest with me we may have to call your parents." "We were just going on a hike we didn't think it would be such a big deal; I mean it was free time right? There was nothing planned and we were going has a group so we didn't see any harm in it. You know if we were looking out for each other." Yes, there you go Shawn saving the day. "Now how did you get hurt. And I want La'Rayna to answer not anyone else." I could tell she was sensing that we were lying but we weren't we did go on a hike we just did more than hike. "Well we were going hiking like Shawn said and I tripped over a rock and fell." "Are you okay?" "Yes, I'm fine see," I said standing up. It hurt a little bit but it wasn't too bad. The nurse came back into the room and gave me some ice to put on my foot. "Sit sit," she said fussing at me. "Now I want you to keep ice on your foot to help the swelling go down and keep your leg elevated." "Yes ma'am."

We headed back to our cabins. Danielle and Shawn helped me get back to cabin five. I couldn't help but think about Melissa like where did she sneak off to and letting us take the blame for everything. Boy I really can't stand that girl. Once we reached cabin five the door swung wide open. "Oh my goodness La'Rayna what happened to you," said Susie H. "Nothing I just fell and sprang my ankle." "Can you move please she's not light you know." I glared at Danielle. "How rude." She laughed. "But your not I know your shorter than me but you are 12 not 2 your kind of heavy for me." "I got her." Shawn said taking all my weight and helping me inside to my bed. "Well well guess who's back." I looked up to see that Melissa was sitting on her bed with that stupid grin on her face. "What ever do you mean?" "Don't give me that you know what I'm talking about. what happened to you out there?" "Out where I've been here all day haven't I Susie." "I wouldn't know I went fishing but when I came back you guys were gone and Melissa was sitting right here." "See I've been here all day." "No you haven't you were out there with us on that stupid hike that you dutch us on and letting us take the fall." Danielle spat I could tell she was growing tried of her lies. I don't know what that girl is hiding but I'm going to find out.

"Never go over the hill...soon your soul will end...the cabin is at a dead end...cabin six that is...searching through the wasteland that is...they never found his body...now he's hunting everybody...you'll be next...he's coming for you with an ax...living at Camp Lakeview...gotta sleep with one eye open...or he's gonna get you." Kirk, Kyle, and Josh sang as they came into my cabin with Danielle. Shawn stayed by my side for the rest of the day since I couldn't get up and walk yet. "Ugh would you guys stop singing that stupid song." "It's not stupid your stupid." "Don't start you two," Shawn chimed in. "What song?" I asked out of curiosity. "A song that a few people made up a while back because of uh you know what happened with the killer and all." Kyle said. First time I heard him speak without being Kirks echo. "So why are you guys singing the song?" Shawn asked. "Who knows once the song gets stuck in your head you sing it for no reason besides everyone is." "If everyone jump off a bridge would you?" I mumbled. Hoping his answer would be yes. I know that's harsh but they get on my nerves. Shawn heard me because he looked over at me. I mouthed what and he just shook his head while lightly chuckling. "We can teach you guys the song if you want." "Now why would we want to learn the song." "It's kind of tradition."

"Shawn get your friends" Danielle said. I could see she was getting tried of hanging with them. Since I couldn't walk and Shawn was keeping me company those are the only people she had left to hang around. Susie H keeps going off to who knows where and who wants to hang out with Melissa. So She did a coin toss and ended up with Kirk and his minions. "Why are you guys so scary?" Kirk asked. "Scary your the one to talk Kirk. You know what I'm not about to be bothered with you." "But its just a song." "A song about us maybe dying out here." I suggested. He shrugged. "So what its just to scary new campers. I admit thats all this stuff is okay. Its just to scare you guys. Its a tradition it happens ever year. It happened the year I started. Do you think they will keep a camp open if people went missing every year?" Well when he put it like that I guess not. Everything kind of does make sense now. But still what if...

"Do you think they will keep a camp open if people went missing every year?" I mumbled. "Huh?" Shawn asked. "Nothing just thinking about something." Looking out the window. "La'Rayna I heard what you said. I even heard what you said back at the house but I let it slide but this time I'm not. Whats going on with you?" He said while still driving to whatever the destination was. "I don't know why isn't that the reason for me going to see a shrink?" "Well if you can get smart then maybe everything that you are doing is just a game." "A game." I questioned him. "Yeah a game like you are still trying to get attention from happened. Since your dad left." I stopped him. I can't believe the things he was saying to me. "What is wrong with. Huh why would I want to get attention from this Shawn. Tell me uh who wants that kind of attention?"  I yelled at him. He was starting to get on my nerves. He pulled over. "I don't know you tell me" He yelled at me. I slapped him so hard across his face the corner of his mouth started to bleed. I have never put my hands on him before. The shock and hurt in his eyes made me feel even worse. I held my hand over my mouth that was now ajar from the shock of me putting my hands on him. "I'm so sorry Shawn." I reached for his hand but he pulled away from me. I grabbed a napkin from the glove department and reach to clean the blood that was trickling down from the side of his mouth. When I reach over he flinched. "I'm not going to hurt you." "Oh really could've fooled me." He said side eyeing me. "Shawn I am really sorry I don't know what came over me." "Yeah me either." I frowned. "Whats thats supposed to mean." "You're not the same person I met La'Rayna." He started up the car again and pulled off. "Well Camp Lakeview changed me." He shook his head. "I'm starting to get tried of it. You're so selfish." "How am I being selfish." "Your not the only one that was out there you know. I lost people that I loved as well. I was almost killed too you know. You don't think what happened out there doesn't mess with me in the head. But..." He started. "But what?" "What happened to you?" 

The rest of the car ride was silent. I can't believe that I hit Shawn. But the look in his eyes and what he said to me hurt me more than when I hit him. I never thought how things may have affected Shawn. He was so busy worrying and trying to protect me that he pushed everything that he was going through just to make sure that I was ok. Not once did I ask him if he was ok. I only thought about myself. I was selfish and didn't even know it. I looked up at him. "I'm really sorry Shawn. For everything." He didn't say anything he just kept on driving.  I couldn't stand for him to be mad at me. So, grabbed his hand with mines. He started to rub his thumb across the back of my hand. He pulled it closer to his face and kissed it. "I could never be mad at you." It was like he was reading my mind like always. 

I looked out the window and couldn't believe that we were here. Coming back to this place brought back painful memories. I have no idea what Shawn was thinking. "Remember this place." "How could I forget." I turned and looked at him and he was smiling. He got out the car and went around to my side and opened the door. "Come on get out." He reached in to grab my hand and helped me out." I hesitated took his hand and stepped out. "Shawn what are we doing here?" "Why whats wrong? I thought you would like being here. I mean look at it. Isn't it beautiful out here. Hasn't changed a bit." He said taking in all of our surroundings. He's right it hasn't changed a bit. We used to come here all the time when we were kids. "I want to go home now." "Look La'Rayna you are going to have to move past this and stop living in the past. I know it hurts but you are hurting yourself by not moving on. Danielle wouldn't want this. She didn't sacrifice her life for you to be stuck." "I know but this place just reminds me of all the times we had out here together." "Well try and remember all the good times we had."

He went to the back of his car and opened the truck pulling out a picnic basket. "Come on." I grabbed his hand and we went over to the willow tree. Our usually spot for just the three of us; the two of us now. He pulled out a blanket and sat it down. He then took out a picture of Danielle and say it in the far corner in the shade. I smiled because Danielle loved the shade so I knew thats why he put it there. "Still our spot." I lightly whispered. He sat down on the blanket and I laid my head in his lap while he ran hi finger through my hair. Times like these make me miss Danielle even more. "You know I miss her too."