Chapter 17: About the past

I didn't understand what Kirk was doing here. We haven't heard from him in 15 years. Last that I heard of him was put in a psych ward. It was said that he was yelling and screaming that he was right the whole time but nobody believed him. It had gotten to the point where he would just yell I knew it over and over. Sometimes he would switch up his sayings. He kind of reminded me of myself. If it wasn't for my mother I might have been locked up as well. The things we went through were pretty traumatic for kids to go through. 

"Old friend. It's nice to see you." He said looking at Shawn. I guess he didn't notice me. Shawn held the same confused expression on his face. "Kirk?" Shawn questioned. "It's me in the flesh." "What are you doing here? Last, I heard you were um getting better. I know that was a few years ago. I just didn't expect this. I didn't expect you to be here." I looked at Shawn trying to read him. It's likely that he knew what was going on in the outside world more than me. I was still trapped in the past. "I heard about the camp reopening so I decided hey why not check it out. Besides my niece is supposed to be attending. I had to check it out. You know what happened her 15 years right?" He asked like we weren't there. "Look Kirk." "I'm just messing with you Shawn." He glanced over in my direction. Then did a double take. "Oh, and who might this be?" "You really don't know?" I asked. "No, but I'm sure I wouldn't forget a face as beautiful as yours." Okay so that was corny and awkward I didn't know how to respond. "That's La'Rayna Kirk." His eyes grew wide and he started coughing like he was choking on his own spit. "Oh um my apologies. I didn't recognize you. I mean look at you. You look different good. Better than I remember." "Thanks," I say sarscatily. I was not taking that as a compliment. Kirk was just as rude as ever. 

I left and let Shawn and Kirk catch up. I walked around the camp and somehow I ended up here; The sunflower house formerly known as cabin five of the girls side of the camp. Sunflowers were Danielle favorite flower so Shawn and I decided to name the cabin after her. Just that thought made me smile. I walked the steps to the cabin. I took a deep breath to prepare myself to go in. I haven't been here in 15 years and that wasn't a very fond memory. 

The cabin was brighter than I remember. The cabin was decorated beautifully sunflowers everywhere. It wasn't tacky like though. Sometimes sunflowers can come off tacky and old lady like but this wasn't. Standing in the middle of the cabin brought back unwanted memories. I started to see flashes of Danielle and myself screaming and running. I fell and she helped me up. The room became bright and I heard someone yell. "La'Rayna!" There was blood everywhere. "La'Rayna," someone said and there was a hand placed on my shoulder. I jumped at the touch and turned around. "Are you okay?" "Yeah you just scared me. I didn't know you were there." "So, do you like how the place turned out." "Yes, its really nice." "Better than I expected.." I could see the excitement in his eyes. Its the first project that his dad left him have almost complete control over. It was a chance to show his dad that one day he could take over the company. "You are so excited aren't you?" "Yeah, I just can't wait for the camp to open up and have everyone see it after all of these years." "Yeah I bet. So, what did Kirk what?" His facial expression changed to something that I could not decipher. "Nothing really. He hasn't changed not one bit.But I do need to ask you something." "What is it?" "What is this celebration that you have planned." "Oh, I thought we could talk about that in your new office." I said using air quotes. "The office was my fathers idea." "Okay, okay."

We were in Shawns office going over the plans for the celebration. I wanted to do something to celebrate all the people that died 15 years ago. We decided on a candle light service the night before Camp Lakeview is supposed to open. We were going over the details. I was trying to keep it simple because I know Shawn already has a lot on his plate but he convinced me otherwise. Throwing the Danielle card again he mentioned that we had to do something big because of her. Shawn has been on and off the phone since we been in here trying to get everything handle before the opening. 

I was sitting on the window seal of his office looking over some paperwork. I look up and Shawn was finally getting off the phone. He was so frustrated. "Is everything okay?" "Yeah, I just have to go check something out." "I can go look if you want." "No, its okay I can handle it. I'll be back. If you need anything call me okay." "Okay, just go." I got up and sat in Shawns big brown office chair. It was so comfortable that it made me want to fall alseep right in it. But I can't and I have to get back to work. I set the paperwork down and seen a brown envelope with Shawns name written on it in black letters it said important read admittedly. I didn't want to be nosy nut I couldn't help myself. I pulled out the first thing and it had a picture of all of us at camp. Susie H, Shawn, Danielle, Kirk and his minions and I. I turned the picture over and it said the past in red letters. I don't understand. What about the past?