Chapter 10: Act or Die

"Shawn stop!" I yelled at him. "Ugh you play too much." "Aw come its just water." "I'm black does it look I care. Getting my hair wet." "You didn't use to mind." I didn't use to mind a lot of things. "Well now my hair is straight, not its old curly afro." "Man black girls and they're hair." I splashed water on him. "Shut up." "Oh so you can get me wet but I can't get you wet." "Uh duh." He gave me this look. I know this look. I slowly backed up. "Shawn don't, I was only kidding." I pleaded waving my hands in front of me. Next thing I know we were in a splash war. I didn't care about getting my hair wet anymore I was having too much fun. I haven't had fun like this in a long time. I haven't smiled or laughed like this in a long time either and it felt good.

After we were done playing in the lake we went fishing by the dock. "This is nice. Thanks for this Shawn. I really needed this." "Anything for you." "I'm thankful for you." He smiled down at me. "I'm the lucky one" He said.

"Shawn come on I'm hungry." We have eaten the food that was in the picnic basket over and hour ago and I was starving. "Well I'm trying to catch something to eat." "We've been out here all day and you haven't caught a thing. Come on let's go. We can get something back home." I whined. He was being a pain trying to get catch us some food." "Oh stop whining." "Tell you what if we leave now I promise we can go camping for real for real like we used to do when we were kids." He started to chew on his bottom lip like he does when he's debating on something. "I don't know I doubt you would go out again." He mumbled the last part. "Shawn I know that I haven't been the same but I will try. I will try for you." "La'Rayna I'm going to need you to try for yourself. Only if you promise me you will get better." "I promise." "Okay come on."  "Yes, finally we're leaving." "Not quite first hike then leave." "Aw that wasn't a part of the deal and I'm hungry." "Its a short hike, besides I have snacks in my bag." "You couldn't tell me that earlier?" "If I have would we still have snacks for this hike?" I looked down. "Exactly." He exclaimed.

"Shawn," I said whining. "You have been playing all day now give me some." I wad trying to snatch the trail mix out of his hand. But he was too fast and I couldn't reach his grasp being that he towered over me. "Ugh you're so annoying." He laughed while handing me the bag of trail mix. "Here." I slowly reached for them expecting him to pull away again. He laughed. "Here take them." I started to eat some of the snack. "Shawn." "Yes." "Thanks for dragging me out here. I feel like my old self. It was fun." "Glad to know that I'm getting you back." He said as he grabbed my hand and kissing the back know of it.

We continued to walk down the trail hand in hand. I started getting these feelings that I haven't had in a long time. I felt like someone was watching us. I turn around but nothing was there. "Shawn how much further do we have left?" "Not much why?" "Because I'm getting tried of walking." I lied. I turned around again. "La'Rayna are you okay." "Yes, I'm fine." "Then why do you keep peeping over your shoulder?" "I'm just enjoying my surroundings. You know taking everything in. We haven't been here in years. I just miss being out doors." I lied. I could tell that he could tell that I was lying but he let it slide. He took one last glance at me and we continued to walk. I heard some rustling in the bush that made me paused pulling back on Shawns arm a little. Once I stopped so did Shawn. "La'Rayna are you okay?" "Did you hear that." "Hear what?" "Something moving in the bushes." "I didn't hear a thing but we uh can leave now if you think it's uh something else you know." He hesitated. "No, maybe I'm just being parionoid." "Look La'Rayna I was there too okay. If you feel like something is off we can go." Shawn was right. He experienced just as much as me if not more. He knew better to say oh it was just a rabbit in the bush or oh well are in the woods what do you expect to hear. He and I both know what could be in the woods. There was no time to play blah white kid in a scary movie. You either act or die. But I'm trying to get better. Better for me and better for Shawn. Besides nothing could possibly be going on in these woods we been coming here for years.

"Shawn it's nothing. We been having a nice time out here. I don't want to ruin it." "La'Rayna." "Shawn it's okay I'm fine I'm just being parionoid. I'm not use to this anymore," I said cutting him off. "Okay fine but let me know and we can leave." He started to walk off again. I glanced to my left real quick and something shinning in the sun light caught my eye. Curiosity killed the cat I thought to myself. Um but I'm not a cat. I headed towards the shiny object. I pushed past the bushes that led me off the dirt pathway and into a grasses blazed surround by more tress and bushes. I bent down to pick up the object until I felt I pair of hands on me. I jump back and screamed hitting away at whatever it was that grabbed me. "Its me La'Rayna it's me." The familiar voice shouted. I looked up and it was Shawn. "Oh my gosh don't ever do that again you scared the crap out of me." I said with one hand on my chest breathing heavy. "I scared you man you scared me. I was walking and talking to you. When you didn't answer I didn't know what happened to you." "I'm sorry I just seen this thing flashing in my face." I looked around for it. Once I seen the object is picked it up and rubbed some of the dirt off it. It was a women's necklace. I frowned. "Um What would this be doing out here. It looked new." I said to Shawn but he didn't respond. "Shawn." I questioned. I looked up at him. He had a shocked look on his face staring into the distance. I tried to follow his gaze. Doing so I wish I never did. There laid a women face down covered in blood. The sight looked all to familiar sadly. "I'm sorry Danielle." I whispered.

We run and jump and swim and play we row and go on trips but the thing that last forever is the bloody shed. Camp Lakeview is known for a killer that seeks after the campers for whatever reason. Nobody knows what or who it is. I always like horror movies but never thought I would live in one.

I'm so scared I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying. I can't believe my best friend is gone. My best friend is dead and I don't know what happened to my other best friend. He told me to stay and wait for him. He said he would be back but he never came. I was sitting in the bush until I heard a noise. I tried to stay quiet but I had to act or I probably be dead by now. Out here you either act or die
I was almost caught. I said I wouldn't peek out but then I heard someone calling for help. I knew who it was so I climbed put to help them. They started to stagger towards me. I reached my arm out to grab there hand. She just reached the tip of my fingers. I got a glimpse of her now dark blue eyes. They used to be bright  as the sky. She locked eyes with mines then froze and fell face down in the ground. I jumped back and screamed when I seen the knife in her back. "Oh no Su." I tried to get out. No words left my mouth. I knew I had to get out of there. Whatever or whoever must of heard my screams. I dash all the while hiding behind tree after tree to take a breather and so I wouldn't be seen. I made it to McKinley Dinning Hall. The place where we sat and ate, telling stories from our day earlier at camp, and just simply goofing off. I looked across the empty room just thinking  how we will never get a chance to do it again. It's not like the room was the same anyways there was blood everywhere. I heard a loud crash outside and ran straight to the back to hide. Once I reach the back there she was laying faced down covered in blood. I fell to my knees in front of her and picked up her necklace.