𝟱 ~ 𝗺𝘂𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗹 𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗱

i think the sleep deprivation is finally getting to me i'm going thru every stages of grief and insanity🦅

the next day pops up behind the corner and neteyam had safety retrieved back home once the festival finally calmed down with everyone heading back home.

however, to neteyam's distaste, he's once again stuck with ao'nung. the one he did not want to run into at all but guess their parents thought otherwise, with all this pairing ups.

as of currently, neteyam has been ordered to walk along the outskirts of the beaches for any potential fragments or indications of sky people.

neteyam had told himself he'd just suck it up and deal with it. but to his knowledge, the two boys must walk around a couple times; so it'll give them enough time and resources to double check through every, single, pathway.

tonowari voices his assumptions about the duration; which might last the whole day.
meaning, neteyam would need to see this fuckhead up until night time.

the metkayina chief previously explained why it'll be just the two out scaping the outskirts.
"the rest of the warriors and hunters are busy with their duties as metkayina"

however, the chief decided it was one of the best ideas to not disclose the information.
neteyam guesses it might've been confidential.

whatever, it's not like a simple omaticaya could protest against the metkayina chief.
as their feet step forth in sync they're not even close to quarter way and neteyam already dreads.

"why-"
"keep it to yourself i don't want to hear you."
neteyam becomes quick to shut ao'nung down, keeping his gaze elsewhere; preferably away from the eye soar.

upon hearing the thunderous vocal, ao'nung pursues his lips and resisting the urge to annoy the boy any longer.
despite the temptation, he had been scolded by tsireya few nights ago but it was just last night he impulsively just did that.
in some truth, neteyam was the one who was really bothering ao'nung.

the awkward silence utters loudly as they're nearing the forest.
"do you miss home?"
instead of the rowdy, cocky attitude, it comes out quite curious, perhaps even gentle.

"what's that got to do with you?"
neteyam blatantly shoves him off, bemused at the random question.

the metkayina shrugs, averting his gaze with a stammer; in hopes of giving a satisfied answer.
ao'nung didn't like this. this isn't him.
why is he trying so hard to befriend an intruder?
by the words of tsireya?
well, yes.
she exasperatingly gave him an earful that night.

"can't i ask a question when i'm in need of the answer?"
he slants his head the other way, in attempt to hide the mild annoyance on his lips.

neteyam clicks his tongue at the painfully obvious mannerism; he's far to familiar, all thanks to lo'ak.

he contemplates for a moment, a miniature self battle escalates in the mind before heaving.
"that's a really dumb question. of course i do. wouldn't you? if you were forced to leave home?"

"you got a point."
"what about your people?"

neteyam's gaze thickens with ao'nung's; in disbelief before realising his ignorance and the lacking from any form of decency.

"the sky people only attacked because of my father. they want him dead."
the omaticaya grits his teeth, enraged by the merciless beings.

"they burnt down our hometree before i was born. it brought devastation onto the people."
"that period was not fun to be alive. that's why i despise the sky people, they ruined my home."

neteyam's throat heats in the moment of rage before reality comes crashing down, twisting his head toward the shaken boy.
"i.. didn't know your people — the omaticaya clan had suffered through such repression."
ao'nung's ears fold, experiencing severe guilt and how he's acted towards the eldest sully.

sure, it wasn't much but still. the guilt is curving his skin out.
"where is this sympathy coming from?"
neteyam catches a glimpse at the taller boy with just his eyes, keeping the neck steady.
"i was not aware of the circumstances you've went through."

despite the pathetic apology, neteyam scoffs with a tongue click.
"don't force yourself to like me. i understand that we differ in homes, looks, and many more. my siblings and i got what you're trying to say."
neteyam grits his teeth, finally bringing himself to voice out the thoughts that lingered long enough.

at the sudden outburst forcing itself onto ao'nung he stays silent; afraid it will enrage the boy more.

however, neteyam isn't wrong.
ao'nung could only talk to the boy without sweeping the floor with him was because of tsireya.
by her words;
"they aren't bad, you're acting way too childish, ao'.
at least give them one chance before i banish you from doing anything practical; if i tell mother and father they will forcefully stop you from such, i'm certain."

ao'nung subtly groans at the words tsireya had praised to him, in the form of a threat.
he doesn't get what his sister sees in these
na'vi's — if they can even be called that.

perhaps it's the curiosity from another tribe.

the two male's nears the forest centre with gazes dancing all over their surroundings.
to ao'nung, the journey before the forest entrance to where they are, felt too long.

needless to say, both were getting impatient; eager for the day to just end so they could go back home and banish away from this moment; specifically from each other.

a sudden rustle nearby alerts their ear points with a quick turn in the neck.
"what-"
neteyam instantly shushes the boy as his pointer finger places itself against his lips, furrowing at the obnoxious sound coming from him.

another shuffle sounds; this time from the other side. whatever it might be, neteyam knew it wasn't dangerous.
it can't be;
it's far too scared to come close.
it's a runner.

that's when the omaticaya boy catches swift movement up along the ginormous tree trunk.
it's just a native creature.

neteyam breathing in deeply and composes his posture, mindlessly turning to ao'nung.

"what?" neteyam notices a smirk rinsing out from the boy's cheeks.
"nothing." was all he says, scoffing at the puzzled omaticaya boy.

ao'nung then continues on their path down the synched forest, completely ignoring neteyam and of course, with such untrust he has; he follows the boy effortlessly.

the boy that was once steady before neteyam, gets swooped by an inch and without realising it himself, he arm reaches forward and now gripping onto ao'nung's upper arm.

another smug look reappears, scanning the forest boy's figure inaudibly.
"watch where you're going skxawng."
the tight grasp let's itself go as a hiss evacuates from neteyam's throat.

1144 wc

this is a piece of shit i'm so sorry😭
this is why i'd rather write a chap in one sitting, it keeps my mind full of details