Day 3

Alex woke up in the same spot as yesterday, slouched in a slightly reclined passenger seat. But it still felt like he was sat straight up, and his back ached again. The small specks of light coming in through the windscreen annoyed him, unlike yesterday. He woke feeling strange today. Not like yesterday where he was actually sort of excited about all this.

He didn't know if Skye was awake but for some reason he wasn't ready to see. He just wanted to wrap himself up in darkness and sleep.

His skin felt itchy and his head muddled with thoughts that never quite finished themselves. Parts of emotions or memories kept trying to come up but he would get only snippets. And the deep ache in his chest might have been the worse part.

It felt like someone had scooped out his insides and replaced them with rocks and nettles. Yet at the same time, he was unsure if he could even feel it. Whatever it was.

So he pulled the blanket back over his shoulders and tried to drown out everything his body felt. Closing his eyes and trying to sleep, knowing the sleep would never come.

The light was annoying, he wanted to sleep, he needed the horrible feeling to go away. But he didn't know what he needed the most, he couldn't figure out what was actually wrong.

When he heard Skye moving around, he didn't move. He didn't feel like talking or pretending to be okay so it was easier to fake sleep. He could hear her get up and shuffle quietly around the van and was glad when she settled down somewhere on her laptop. He could hear the click of the keys and it helped to quieten his mind some.

Skye sat on the floor instead of at her desk so she could give Alex some peace. She knew he was awake. She didn't know why he hadn't said anything yet but something was clearly off so she gave him space. It could have been from the cramp seat he was currently in or because he hadn't slept enough. But she knew he wasn't telling her everything. For some reason she trusted him though, so he would tell her in his own time.

For now, it gave her a good chance to catch up with some rising tide stuff. She'd been all over it before Alex arrived and then she sort of just dropped it all for him which wasn't liker her. But yesterday had been fun, and the evening before that too!

Nothing too different stood out. They had the usual revealing secrets or conspiracy theories. Some looked interesting, she would have to have a big hacking session at some point to find out more. They had to expose SHIELD for everything it was doing. They couldn't hide things from everyone.

She was determined. She would find out what they're doing.

Without getting anywhere good, she started getting hungry, which was confirmed by the loud stomach rumble that echoed around the van.

She didn't know if she should disturb Alex, because he might be hungry too, or if she should just wait for him to move or something.

She ended up waiting for a while longer and searching through cctv footage from the attack on New York. The first time shield exposed themselves to the rising tide. SHIELD had been caught before, but there was never enough proof. Then after the battle, no one could deny it.

Skye imaged it was her who uncovered that much information. Showing the world an entire organisation no one knew about. It was like a hackers wet dream. She would do it one day, show everyone something being hidden from them and reveal the truth.

But now, she wanted food...

She felt bad, but it was getting late into the morning so she walked over and gently put a hand on Alex's shoulder.

"Hey", she said softly, "I'm going to go and get food, would you like to come?"

He barely even looked at her, avoiding it at all costs as he shook his head without saying a word. Skye decided to leave it and said she'd bring him back some if he changes his mind. With her trendy new clothes on, she left to get breakfast.