Pilot- pt1

A young boy walked up to the window of a shop front and looked at the display of toy superheroes. Small figures of the Avengers had been laid out in a fight scene with Captain America ready to throw his shield and iron man swooping above. He watched them with a plain face as his father bought food from a cart behind.

"Ace, come and get it", the man said, handing his son, Ace, a hot dog. "What do you say we go out to your aunt Mindy's this weekend? You and Keisha can swim in the pond".

"Sure", Ace shrugged and looked back at the small set of superhero's.

The man seemed hesitant on what to say next but sighed and smiled.

"You know, you got a birthday coming up in a couple of months. Who's your favourite?"

"I'm okay", the boy said.

His dad looked disappointed as he bit his cheek and bent down to the level of his son.

"Hey", he said softly, turning Ace around to face him. "Things are tight right now, but I'm gonna find something. Not back at the factory, but I got prospects", he smiled softly. "You and me, what are we?"

"We're a team", the boy replied.

The dad laughed and gently tap his shoulder, chuckling quietly.

"That's right. So, who do you-"

His voice was cut off by a huge explosion coming from the third floor of a building behind them. The windows blew out and balls of fire erupted from within. The man grabbed his son and held him close, unsure of what was happening but needing to keep Ace safe.

He finally looked up whilst shielding the boy to see the fire still billowing out. People screamed and flaming debris fell to the floor barely missing anyone walking on the street. The whole street of car alarms went off and people ran away from the smoke.

"Are you okay?" The man asked his boy. "Alright, Ace, look at me. I need you to stay here with Bernie. Okay? People could be hurt, and I'm gonna see if they need my help. Stay with Bernie", he told him and left Ace in the care of Bernie, the food cart man, and ran off after shouting at him to look after his son.

The man ran past people filming and running in terror, towards the flaming building. The streets below had pieces of wood that had fell from the building, still burning, and broken glass littered the floors.

He ran around the building, looking up as he went until he got to an alley with no one else in sight. He looked up at the window three floors up and heard the pleas of a woman inside.

"Help me! Help me!" She yelled.

Checking around to make sure no one was looking, the man furrowed his brows, took a breath, and punched through the stone wall. He quickly did the same with his foot, using the hole he'd created as a step to reach higher and punch another hole. He did it over and over again, climbing up the wall until he could drag himself into the window high up in the air.

The smoke inside made him cough and every surface lit up in flames. The walls were already charred black and the doors now only a frame as the fire ate everything. He kicked out at everything in his way, trying to find the woman trapped and still shouting from somewhere. His hood pulled over his face to protect his eyes from the smoke.

"Help me! Help me!"

He thought he found the source of the cries when the ceiling fell down around him.

Onlookers on the street kept filming and gasping at the building. And Alex and Skye somehow found themselves on the pavement below. Alex knew there was something up before the explosion happened but it still made him jump and he wasn't prepared for his ears to ring so harshly.