Girl in the flower dress - pt1

In Hong Kong, China, a man stood in the middle of a busy street doing magic for people passing by. He stood in front of a small crowd of people and got ready for his next trick.

"My grandfather often said that every man is a mystery. Some men harbour beautiful secrets", he said as he made an egg disappear and reappear in his hands. "Others hide darker ones. He believed the only way to know a man's true nature is to pierce his outer shell. And gaze within".

Many people watching didn't seem convinced or impressed by his trick. A young man watching with a girl kept laughing.

The man pretended to throw the egg and big silver streamers came from it. Some people gasped and a few even jumped, but the younger man was still unimpressed.

"Lame trick", he said to the girl.

"They were in the egg", she replied back.

The man heard them and looked down to the few small notes he'd collected in his jar. That was when he spotted her, a pretty woman standing there in a black and white flowery dress.
He gave her a small smile and turned around, looking down to his hands and clenching them. When his fingers flicked forward, and his hands opened, a small flame swirled in his palm.

"This is not a trick", he said before turning and throwing a ball of fire at the boy and girl.

It stopped right before them and fizzled out in the air, leaving them startled and running off.

"How did you do that?" The strange woman came over to ask as the man collected his money.

"A magician never reveals his secrets".

"Then I'll have to pierce your shell and gaze within?" She copied his words from earlier.

"You understood?" He sounded happy and gave her another glance. "Chan Ho Yin", he held out a hand for her to shake.
"Raina", she replied. "I would love to see that fire trick again".

"I don't think that's a good idea", he said nervously.

"Of course not. It's a great idea".

They ended up back at his place with music from a nearby party booming through the walls and things everywhere.
"I am sorry for the clutter. I'm in between places", he told her and threw his keys down.

"How long have you been here?"

"Six years", he smiled casually. "Beer?"

Whilst he got them drinks, she wandered around the small space until he came back.

"You seem to have an appreciation for the greats", she said, eyeing his posters of the great Houdini.

"I idolized him for many years", Chan told her.

"And now?"

"There's no real magic there, just tricks", he said after a sip of beer.

"And what you do... those aren't tricks? Show me".

He hesitated for a moment, thinking about it until he laughed nervously.

"I'm sorry. I really shouldn't".

"Says who? What are you afraid of?" She asks with a tilt of her head.

"It's not me who's afraid".

He does it again. Fire coming from the palm of his hands and setting the room in an orange glow. The woman, Raina, gasps and stares at it in wonder.

"That can't be real".

"See for yourself", he tells her.

Her hand brushed close to the flames and they flicker slightly, sending her into an even deeper trance as she stares.
"How long have you been able to—"