Repairs - pt2

Alex goes back to his bunk for some calm before everything goes haywire. The only good things about knowing some of what happens during the missions means he can take a moment like this. To keep calm and breathe.

And he's spending that time working on his newest invention. He's already got a piece of vibranium and some plans drawn up for that, and he's painted the small figure of Skye that will soon be part of a chess set with all the team in.

But this is something they will never have seen before. The small metal device with a wrist strap looks a little makeshift right now. But soon it will shoot webs out to catch bad guys and maybe even swing from.

Alex is still working out the kinks but it'll work out. He knows it's possible from Spiderman.

As he thinks of it, spider man doesn't exist for them yet, so he shouldn't say anything. There's just a kid somewhere, living a normal life in queens with no idea his world with be thrown upside down.

He tweaks a few little things and starts screwing in something when Skye appears in the doorway.

"I'm gonna go speak to Coulson about seeing Hannah. Maybe she'll talk to us. You in?"

"Definitely", he says and puts everything to the side and follows her up.

***

"Just let me go in and talk to her, sir, as a friend", Skye begs.

The discussion hadn't gone so well and Coulson doesn't seem to like the idea.

"Please, sir", Alex tries. "Its important and we think she'll trust us".

"I can't let you do that, it's too dangerous".

"She's not dangerous. She's nice, like, overly nice", Skye says as she brings up a tablet. "She never misses a birthday post to her friends, runs the youth program at her church, rescues dogs. Hannah's safety inspector not just because she's detail oriented but because she –

"She genuinely cares", Coulson finishes.

"Right. And someone with that much empathy being responsible for that much loss of life, she's devastated. Spouting nonsense about God punishing her for – "

"People believe what they need to believe to justify their actions", May interrupts and Alex catches the glance she gives his way.

"Is that how you justify your shoot first policy?" Skye asks with slightly teary eyes as she genuinely cares. "At least let me try to repair that damage".

"Until we figure out what's going on with her she stays locked up and you stay away", May demands.

Alex stays quiet through the whole conversation and doesn't want to interrupt. May won't change her mind even with Skye's great arguments. But he's also scared of May as she is still very much angry about him shooting her.

In the middle of the small argument between the women, something falls off of Coulson's shelves and clatters to the floor. He looks down at it before looking back up to the others.

"Thought that was glued down", he comments casually.

Alex doesn't mean to, but he instinctively steps closer to Skye.

"You're asking the right questions", Coulson says as he puts the item back on the shelf. "But, for now, that's all you get to do. I'm sorry".

Skye rolls her eyes and looks over at Alex as they silently agree to leave.

***

A little later, Skye finds Ward in the small kitchen making himself a sandwich. Skye sat on the counter with her legs swinging back and forth as he moves around, cutting tomatoes and getting the things he needs as she talks.