The well - pt3

Elliot is still waiting in the holding cell as Coulson watches the footage from his office. He sees a figure in the doorway and Ward appears.

"A moment, sir?"

"Come on in".

Ward walks in and stands in front of Coulson with his back to the screen. He hesitates for a moment before speaking clearly.

"I'm concerned that my exposure to that weapon has compromised my ability to do my job".

"Go on".

"You're familiar with my family history", Ward asks and Coulson nods. "So, for obvious reasons, I don't think back to childhood. Ever. There are things I put away a long time ago. On lockdown. Because, to do this, I have to be focused, tactical. I can't be distracted. Especially by things that happened a lifetime ago" Ward explains.

"You're saying touching the staff unlocked certain memories".

Ward nods tersely and clenches his jaw. For once it isn't from anger, but sadness too.

"My worst memory", he gets out. "The first time I felt...hate. And it won't go away. I don't trust myself. The way I went off at Skye and Alex and Fitz-Simmons in the lab – "

"Grant, you telling me this makes me feel I can trust you", Coulson tells him. "Him on the other hand..." he nods to the screen. "I can't get the Professor to talk. You've got some rage built up. Maybe it's time to let it out".

A few moments later, Ward enters the holding cell and walks up to Randolph.

"You need to start talking".

"I told Agent Coulson everything I know".

"You're lying. Tell me what that thing did to me and how to fix it", Ward hisses through clenched teeth.

"I swear, I don't know", Randolph answers calmly as his cuffed hands rest on the table.

"Okay, then", Ward says as he shows a knife in his hands.

He leaps forward and tries to stab Elliot in the throat, but the man simply raises an arm and catches Wards hand. As if it's nothing, he bends the blade and Ward stares at it in shock. A door opens behind them and Ward mutters.

"You were right. He's Asgardian".

"Good thing. Otherwise, that would've been awfully embarrassing", Coulson smiles.

"Okay", Eliot says as he easily yanks off the handcuffs, "I have to know. How did you figure me out?"

"Did the math. One, you're not the first Asgardian I've had in custody. You guys don't flinch or panic in captivity. Two, a Waterfield 44? On a lit professor's salary? I don't think so".

Eliot makes an 'ahh' motion with his mouth and nods along.

"And lastly, when I tell someone I've had some one-on-one time with an alien, they tend to be a little curious".

"Well, you're certainly more observant than most, Agent Coulson".

"So, you're the Asgardian warrior who stayed", Coulson clarifies.

"Please don't tell anyone", Eliot says, showing the first hint of worry.

"I had no clue. Did you?" Fitz smiles as the rest of the team watch the interaction on the tv screen. "Hidden in plain sight, an actual Asgardian. Brilliant", he grins over to Alex.

"How long do you suppose he's been on our planet?" Skye asks.

"A thousand years, maybe more. If we could just cut him open a little bit, get some tissue samples, maybe some bodily fluids, we could find out", Simmons starts but alex and skye give her a funny look.