Girl in the flower dress - pt3

Chan ran on a treadmill as a scientist looked on, taking data recordings of his progress.

Raina spoke to someone in a separate room with a window so they could still watch him.

"It appears the volatility in the serum has been neutralized", Raina told the woman.

"I'm surprised you got him to cooperate".

"He has dreams. I told him they'd come true", Raina explained but the woman sighed.

"You gave him a name, didn't you?"

"Everyone wants to be remembered".

"Well, thank god no one's gonna have to actually call him that", she said and looked at his file that said 'scorch' at the top.

"You were right. The platelets in his blood prevent the extremis in the serum from combusting".

"That's fantastic. The others will be pleased. Good work, Raina", she said happily before sinisterly adding, "Now drain him".

The woman walked out and Raina watched Chan step off the treadmill and dry his face on a towel. She presses a buttons and thick gas gets sprayed directly at him and he drops to the floor.

***

"It appears Centipede is responsible for Mr. Chan's kidnapping", Coulson tells the team.

"First L.A., now Hong Kong. What kind of organization are we dealing with?" Ward asks.

"International, well-financed, interested in creating a super soldier. Let's hope finding Mr. Chan will provide some answers. Using the account information Mr. Lydon gave us, S.H.I.E.L.D. H.Q. believes he's being held here".

"Any ideas what Centipede wants with Chan?" May asks and Fitz starts speaking.

"Hard to say, but Simmons thinks that considering he's pyrokinetic—"

"There's a good chance his genetics could stabilize the extremis element of the Centipede serum", she finished for him.

"Keep their test subjects from going—"

"Boom!"

"If Mr. Chan is Centipede's lab rat, we need to get there before the experiment's over", Coulson tells them.

***

Chan woke up strapped to a chair in the same lab room.

"This is no test. This is torture".

The chair he's in slowly moves him into a standing position so he can see Raina and the woman she was speaking to earlier.

"Thank you for your participation. Our group really owes you one", she says.

"I won't let you", he breathes heavy and holds his hand out.

Instead of the usual rush of fire coming harmlessly from his palm, it burns instantly. His hand turns black with burns and he screams.

"What have you done?" He asks shakily.

"We don't understand what gave you this ability, but the reason you don't burn is because your blood platelets are fire-resistant".

"Which is why we're removing them", Raina adds.

"Take this upstairs", the woman tells another scientist and holds out a vial of his blood.

"Raina, you said I have a gift".

"And you're giving it", she answers evenly before walking out.
"Raina! Raina!!!"

***

Ward is getting ready to go out. His bulletproof vest is on and he checks the guns until Coulson walks over.