The asset - pt2

"The man's a prisoner, and it's up to us to get him out", Coulson told the team.

"We checked the specs", Ward said. "There's no way into Quinn's compound without a large S.H.I.E.L.D. Strike force. Or a man inside. He's got neodymium laser fencing surrounding the property".

"They'll never allow a strike into Malta", Coulson tells him. "Plus, this weekend Quinn Worldwide's got its annual shareholder's gathering. We'd risk global outrage. But—"

"If we go in alone—" May started.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Can disavow us, claim ignorance", Coulson finished.

"Without a man inside, it's impossible", she said. "Unless you're immune to pulse laser emissions".

Fitz leant back and thought about it.

"If we had a monkey we could get in".

"Oh, Fitz!" Simmons shouted as if they'd gone over this a million times already.

"If we had a small monkey, he could slip through the sensors and disable the fences power source with his adorable little hands".

"I'll go", Skye said but was ignored.

"Drop me in the hills outside of Valletta", Ward said. "I'll spend a few weeks establishing a cover, gathering intel—"

"Hall doesn't have a few weeks", Coulson commented.

"And to restate, any agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Caught on Maltese soil can be shot to death with bullets", Simmons said as Fitz nodded along.

"Not me. I could go in", Skye said.

"And me", Alex agreed.

"Alex, Skye, this is serious".

"Wait", interrupted Coulson as he walked over to them both. "What are you saying?"

"Well, we aren't agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so I can go in without breaking all these stupid rules".

"International laws", Simmons repeated.

"This isn't something the rising tide can hack, Skye", Ward sassed.

"Did you hear the deadly lasers part?" Fitz spoke. "Without a brave monkey—"

"You said you could go in with a man inside", Skye interrupted.

"And you wanna be that man?" May asked.

"And me", Alex  raised his hand, not wanting Skye to go alone.

"Fitz-Simmons love the guy, and he needs help", she nodded. "They could be torturing him. Or worse, making him do strength training".

"But neither of you have the background", Ward pointed out. "Or clearance, or experience with any of this".

"I know", Skye said calmly and turned her phone around. "But me and Alex have invitations... well, technically it's an e-vite".

***

Coulson looked through his small wardrobe of identical suits as he spoke to Ward.

"I understand your concern, but we don't have a lot of options".

"Hey, I'm impressed", Ward whispered. "She just wrangled an invitation on her phone using insider back channel voodoo. In minutes. But sending her in with no training, you're taking a huge risk. I know director Fury felt like he owed you after you sacrificed yourself".

"And my card collection", Coulson muttered.

"He gave you some autonomy. But Skye and Alex on a covert op?"