Chap. 3

Arther turned to me with icy eyes. Weirdly enough for his element being fire. He smirked.

He flicked his wrists and flames began to engulf the entire room. All the guards were screaming.

Already, a couple guards were out from the smoke. Some were even burned beyond recognition.

GASP!

I turned around. My face paled.

Worst of all, Dan was choking on all the smoke, clawing at his throat.

Arther advanced toward me. He raised his hand. And then—

"KARISE!"

I jolted, my eyes flying open. Dan was hovering around me, eyes worried. I was on the ground. Everyone was staring at me.

"You just collapsed! Kari, are you okay?" Dan asked me, anxiousness flooding into his voice.

I blinked.

What... What was that? What did I just see?

I glanced around.

The room was completely fine. The guards were all fine. They were all staring at me. Not with worry, that was for sure. As for Arther, he stood where he had been. Eyes laced with confusion as he watched me.

What.... What the f—

I cleared my throat.

"I have a little headache, that's all." I smiled awkwardly, standing up and brushing off the imaginary dust on my pants.

Dan furrowed his brows. He opened his mouth to speak. But Arther spoke before he could.

"The death of— of my parents must have taken quite a toll on you, Karise. Why don't you go take some rest?" Arther suggested, not unkindly.

I frowned. But I nodded.

I squeezed Dan's hand and then started to head out.

"Wait! I'll come with you!" I heard Dan call out.

Then a warm hand brushed against my own, and then fingers intertwined with mine.

I hoped my face wasn't too red.

A/N: ok guys, be honest. did anyone actually think the first part of this chapter had actually happened? I'd love to know if it caught anyone by surprise 😗