Chap. 11

Everyone was escorted into the next room in small groups of five. Of course, I went with Dan, and three men with bushy eyebrows, probably some noblemen judging by their clothes.

Everyone was seated at tables wordlessly. The cake was cut, and slices of it were given to everyone on pretty, gold-lined dessert plates.

I took my fork and started to take a bit. Then I saw Dan. He was staring down at his plate. Not eating.

I stopped, putting down my fork.

"What's wrong?"

Dan turned to me with a weary look. "I'm just a little tired. I'm... gonna go get some rest in my room. Please, just enjoy the rest of the ceremony. Don't.... Don't let me ruin this for you." He offered a smile that looked way too forced for me.

I watched as Dan left the room— trudged out, more like it. He looked so, so tired...

I.... Should let him go on his own. I can't be following him around all the time. I have to let him fight his own battles. I thought to myself. 

Ones that don't involve any real danger, of course. I then hurriedly thought.

I took my first bite of the chocolate cake. It was actually quite decent.

That's when I heard a scream. And maybe it was only I who heard, because no one else reacted. 

Through all the murmurs and chatter of everyone around me (mostly noblemen and noble wives), I could clearly tell who's scream it was.

Dan.

My eyes widened.

What happened to him?!

I burst out of my seat and sped out the door. People gave me weird looks as I darted past by.

I emerged the room to find Dan shooting icicles at a man with an old scar on his face, cutting through one eye.

The man was holding a dagger. Poison dripping off from it.

I stood there, mouth open in shock, paralyzed.

Dan shot another icicle at the man. The man dodged. The icicle shattered beside the man's feet.

"I won't let you even get a inch closer! Don't think you'll be able to stab me with that poison!" Dan snarled.

Wow, I never knew he had that side of him. Quite attracti— NO NOT THE TIME KARISE CERTAINLY NOT!

Dan grew a frosted pane underneath him, that then rose up into the air.

"You won't get away, Aedan." The man growled.

"Address me with my formal title! You do not have any right to call me with such casualty! Certainly not when you ambushed me and tried to assassinate me!" Dan said.

The man lashed forward. One snap, and Dan had the man suddenly trapped down to the ground, ice caking his feet.

But the man was strong. He forcefully yanked his feet out and the ice crumbled.

Dan grew another one. And another. The man kept getting out of the icy holds.

Soon, the man and Dan too, were panting.

"Your power has the stamina to go on. You, your physically body doesn't." The man said like it was a statement.

Dan clenched his hands into fists.

The man stared up at Dan, who was still on his icy platform.

"You aren't daring to kill me with your icy powers." The man noted. "You certainly have the strength to do so. And the power too."

Dan scowled. "I won't use my power to kill! Unlike you, I have a heart!"

"Oh, do you? Well you won't have a beating heart much longer." The man smirked.

And his dagger was suddenly propelled towards Dan. The shiny, glossy blade with poison on it.... Flying right at Dan. Right at his heart. 

A/N: ooh, cliffhanger ;)

          dw, I'll update soon!