Chap. 5

A Lil' Time Skip...

I opened my eyes. I had fallen asleep. Dan was sleeping beside me, eyes closed, chest rising and falling rhythmically.

Dan and I had always had sleepovers together, ever since I had accidentally stumbled into the palace grounds and bumped into Dan. And ever since, we had been best friends.

It was normal that Dan would sleep with me when he had a nightmare or something bad happened. In this case, it was... well, everything that had happened so far.

But this was the first time he was so close.

I never realized his eyelashes were so long. And I never realized he had tiny freckles on his nose.

I cleared my throat, turning away.

Only, I woke Dan up without meaning too. Oops.

He yawned, blinking with groggy eyes.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Hi." He said with a yawn.

He smiled at me. With such fondness, it almost made me--

Suddenly, his eyes snapped wide open.

"Chocolate cake." He said.

"....What?"

"Chocolate cake. I—It's what mom always made me and Arther when we were sad or happy or something!"

Some mix of pity and sadness rose inside me.

"...Dan. You're mom is..."

I couldn't say it. Not to his beautiful face— erm, to his face. My best friend's face. My best friend for seven years now.

Dan got up and hastily headed out, following the smell of chocolate cake, that I could now smell too.

I sighed, then decided to follow after Dan. He was my charge after all and I was his assigned bodyguard.

The king— Dan's father— had assigned me to him when I had applied for a job here as a warrior or bodyguard. He knew how close I was with his son.

I shook my head. I wasn't gonna think about the deceased king. It made me feel.... not sad, but this feeling I couldn't describe. Anger? Pity?

I quickly went after Dan.