Chap. 29

I opened my eyes to find myself chained to a wall, in a dark room with a musty, disgusting rotting smell. A rancid stench burned my nose.

I glanced around frantically, trying to find Dan. He was nowhere in sight. I began to hyperventilate.

Dan.... Dan..... Where is he?!!

The door of the room swung open with creaking noises. I snapped my attention over to the newcomer...

Dan!

"Oh my god! Dan!" I cried in joy.

"Hey," He smiled, bending down to meet my eyes.

I scanned him. "And you're okay! You're not hurt!" I said, a little surprised. I reached out to squeeze his hand, but he moved away before I could.

I frowned, a little hurt by that.

"Where.... Where were you?" I asked.

"What you mean? The nice men took me to a nice little room. We had some tea, and it was all fine." He smiled.

I shook my head in confinement.

"Are you brainwashed or something?" I cried out.

Dan looked at me like I was crazy. "Why would I be brainwashed? Are you sure, you're okay?"

"Uh, I'm fine!" I said. "So you just woke up and were taken to that room?"

Dan shrugged. "Yeah. Everything's fine, so don't worry. I'll be back."

He turned to go, but I grabbed his wrist, pulling him back.

He twisted his wrist out of my grip with a hard look.

"Why aren't you saying my name?" I asked.

Dan stared at me with a confused look. "What are you talking about? Why would I say your name?"

"You always say my name when you're talking to me! Always! So why aren't you now?" I asked.

"Because I don't want to, that's all." Dan sighed.

"Why though?" I insisted.

Dan's face hardened. "Because. I. Don't. Want. To." He said, teeth gritted.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worried.

"Just shut up!" He yelled.

I gaped at him. This....

Then I realized it. Connected all the dots.

I growled. "You're not Dan, are you?"

Not-Dan smirked. "Clever girl, eh?"

His voice changed into something completely different— rough and deep, the opposite of Dan's sweet, soft, melodic voice. 

Yes, from the very start, his voice had been a little too rough, but I had brushed that off.

Not-Dan's skin seemed to be..... melting off, until the person I was looking at was completely different. This wasn't Dan. It never had been him.

A tall, muscular man with tattoos all over his arms and neck, a bony face, and scars running down one side of his face.

"Lieutenant Grange. Pleasure to meet you." He said.

"Not a pleasure to meet you!" I snapped in response.

Lieutenant Grange's face hardened. "Not very polite, is it?"

He stepped towards me.

A twinge of fear bubbled inside of me.