Chap. 31

Lieutenant Grange's face hardened into one of anger.

"Listen here, you disrespectful girl! I'm only 43! And I'm the second-in-command 'round here! You better listen!" He yelled.

"Ha, as if. I'm not even one to be under your command. Nor will I ever be." I taunted. "You think I'm scared of you?"

Lieutenant Grange scowled. Then he snapped his fingers. Instantly, a guard rushed in and grabbed Dan, pulling my boyfriend away from me.

Fear spiked inside me. Why had I said that?! Why had I become so brave?!

Because Dan was with you. And now because of your stupid, foolish words, he'll be taken away.

Lieutenant Grange smirked. "Not so snappy now, are we?"

I gritted my teeth.

Lieutenant Grange smiled eerily. "Now... What would happen if one of my men were to.... Say, play around with your boyfriend here for a bit? Right in front of you? Maybe throw in a knife or two—"

"NO!" I screamed.

Dan's face was panicked as he stared right into my eyes. My heart clenched painfully. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't freaking do anything!

The lieutenant snapped his fingers again. Another solider came in and pressed a sharp knife to Dan's throat.

He let out a whimper.

No. Dan. NO!

"Stop."

A voice said suddenly.

We all turned to to the newcomer.

A young girl, with wild dark blue hair and oddly yellow eyes.

"Shelia? What are you doing here?" Lieutenant Grange asked.

"Father, stop this madness. Don't you know who that boy is?!" The girl demanded.

Father...?

"Who?" The lieutenant asked, with an amused look.

"Prince Aedan!" Shelia said.

There was a pause.

Then the slow laughter of the lieutenant.

"Shelia, did you think I did not know? The Boss told me just now. And he demands the prince and his girlfriend ("Ugh." I glowered as he spat out that single word) are to be taken to him. Right now."

In a blink, three things happened.

1. The lieutenant ordered his daughter to be taken back to her room.

2. The soldiers dragged the screaming girl away.

3. Me and Dan were forcefully dragged away to the opposite side of the building from where Shelia had been dragged to.