Chap. 19

I walked Dan to the bench and slowly set him down, being very careful. I sat down beside him so he could lean on me. And he did just that.

The moment I sat down, Dan leaned on my shoulder again, resting it there. I watched his eyes close and his breathing go rhythmic. His shoulder rose up and down slowly.

I smiled.

That's when I noticed someone walking over.

A girl, around my age if not a little older. Auburn-red hair that curled at her shoulder; tan skin; dark grey eyes. And she wore the most revealing clothes I had ever seen.

I fought the urge to gag.

The girl stopped in front of me.

"Hi, I couldn't help but notice how handsome your friend here is." The girl jerked her head at Dan.

"Is he... perhaps single?" She asked.

I was about to be honest and tell her the truth, that Dan was indeed single, but something about this girl was off.

"Um, no. He's not." I said.

"Oh? He has a girlfriend?" The girl raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

I cleared my throat. "He does indeed have a girlfriend. Me. I'm his girlfriend, you see." I smiled.

AHHH WHY DID I SAY THAT?! OH MY GOD!

The girl's face fell. "Oh." She smiled forcefully. "Well, I'll be going then." She hurried off.

I snorted. Wow, that girl was so shallow. Coming over to see if a cute boy was available, then darting the moment she found he wasn't up for grabs.

Dan shifted beside me, still deep asleep.

Good thing he didn't hear me saying that I was his girlfriend.

My heart spun.

But, why can't I pretend to be his girlfriend? I mean.... I kinda wish I could be his girlfriend....

I closed my eyes.

Well, I can't be in denial forever now, can I? I like Dan. I like my best friend. There, I said it. 

A/N: AHHH, our Karise isn't in denial anymore! Now if she'll finally realize that her feelings are not just her, but mutual.... ;)