Chap. 12

I gasped, but my feet wouldn't move.

Dan's face morphed into one of shock. Then he flicked his wrist and a blob of ice encased the dagger. With the extra weight, the dagger felt to the ground. Dan encased it in ice again and then froze the assassin man in an ice block.

"GUARDS!" Dan roared.

A fleet of guards entered.

Their faces were shocked looking at the scene.

"Put this man in the dungeons. He tried to assassinate me with a poison dagger. The ice will never melt unless I tell it to. That way, I know he won't escape, even if someone were to betray me and let him out." Dan said icily.

The guards shivered.

"Is....is the man dead?" One of the guards asked.

"No, he's in a temporary coma." Dan replied with coldness. A true ice prince. Ha-- wait no, not the time for such jokes and puns.

"W—We'll make sure the person is locked away." The Head Guard spoke up nervously. The guards began to drag the man-in-the-ice away.

"What about this dagger—"

The guard froze as Dan snapped his fingers and the ice block encasing the poisoned dagger shattered, leaving nothing but bits of ice and silver blade.

The guards hurried out.

Dan turned around. He had been facing away from me. He turned. And he found me standing there. His face broke.

His icy demeanor just broke like that, seeing me. 

It hurt to just see that face.

"...Dan. I—"

"Why did you come?!" Dan sobbed. "Why didn't you come with me earlier?! Then you could've stopped the attack! Why didn't you come?!"

He collapsed on me, hugging me tightly, tears dripping down from his eyes. I felt so wretched.... This time, the reason Dan was crying was because of me.

I hugged him back.

"I'm so sorry. I thought I was being too overprotective.... and that I should leave you to fight your own battles sometimes... Of course, I didn't think you'd be attacked like this." I murmured.