Chap. 20

I leaned my head on Dan's. My eyes fluttered open again.

We had to get going to the 'Black Raven Tavern'. Wherever that was.

I would have to wait till Dan was awake again. And I would wait for him any time, as long as it takes. For him to sleep and then wake up, I mean.

And soon enough, the weight was being lifted off my shoulders as Dan looked at me with a groggy expression.

I laughed.

"Don't be a groggy froggy, c'mon. We have to go find the Black Raven Tavern and find clues." I told him.

"I'm not a 'groggy froggy'." Dan whined.

"Hey!" A cheerful voice. 

I tried not to groan. Ugh, the girl from before.

I turned to her.

"You guys are so cute! Dating, right? Boyfriend and girlfriend?" She asked.

Dan looked confused. "Us? Oh, we're—"

I panicked. The girl couldn't know I had been lying. Then everything would be weird.

I placed my hand over Dan's and squeezed his hand gently.

He glanced at me and I smiled at him. Hoping he'd get my telepathy.

"—dating, yes." Dan finished.

The girl's face really drooped now.

"Oh, you really weren't lying?" The girl asked me.

Nope, I was totally lying.

I smiled at her and held up me and Dan's intertwined hands.

I'm sorry, Dan. You must be surprised. I just didn't know what to do and I know you may not like me back, but I really like you.

"Nope! I'm really his girlfriend!"

The girl huffed. "Okay, worth a try." She said, before storming off again.

I blew out a relieved breath.

Dan tilted his head at me.

"Dating, huh?" He asked.

"Sorry, I.... I had to lie to that girl because there was something off about her." I explained.

Or maybe you just don't want Dan to be someone else's. My mind supplied.

I cleared my throat. "And I had to lie that you were my boyfriend. If it made you uncomfortable, I'm sorry." I said.

Dan took my hand. "Who said I was uncomfortable?"

My breath hitched.

Dan glanced down at... my lips. Then his eyes darted back to mine. His dark green irises shone like emeralds caught in the sun rays.

"You.... You're really beautiful, you know that?" He asked me sweetly.

I think my lungs weren't working properly.