Chap. 14

Dan shoved the last piece of clothing in his satchel. Since magic was a whole thing in today's world, people had invented a special satchel that would be able to fit a whole table in it.

I was already ready to go, a light backpack all packed. Dan looked up. A smile spread across his face as he noticed me.

"Kari!"

I hoped my face wasn't too red, as I walked over to him.

"H—Hey, are you ready to go?" God, I shouldn't be thinking about how adorable he looks right now— nope, no, no, definitely no.

"Mhm!" Dan smiled, closing his satchel and snapping it shut.

I nodded. "Let's go then. Oh, and you should go tell your brother that you're gonna go find more clues and go interview people out in the kingdom. To find the culprit?"

Dan nodded. "I'm gonna go right now to do that. Um..." He glanced shyly at me.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow.

"...Come with me?"

A chuckle escape me. "Sure." I grinned.

Dan was so cute~ NO DEFINITELY NOT NO NO NO!

I cleared my throat casually and followed after Dan who went to find his brother.

We found Arther in his own bedroom, looking stressed as he shuffled through a bunch of papers.

"Arther!" Dan called out.

"Oh, hey, Aedan. Right! I heard you got attacked! Are you okay?!" Arther stood up and worriedly scanned Dan up and down.

"Yeah, but I'm fine. Don't worry!" Dan smiled.

Arther sighed. "I meant to check up on you earlier, but then I got so busy. With these stupid papers!" He shot a glare at the papers on his desk.

I stifled a giggle. He was so childish for a man who was, what, five cycles older than me?

I was seventeen cycles old, and he was twenty cycles old, so.... yeah, five cycles.

"Arther, I'm going to go find some clues around the palace and then go interview the people in the kingdom. See if I can find anything about the murder of mom and dad." Dan told his brother with glowing eyes, full of determination.

Arther stared at him with an appalled look.

"You're gonna leave the palace? In search of the murderer?" He asked.

Dan nodded. "Yeah. I don't have any clues to go off of, but I want to find mom and dad's murderer and find out why they killed our parents."

Arther sighed. "I wasn't going to show this to you, because I was afraid you would go after it... But seeing as you're so determined, I suppose I should let you see this and go off in search of the culprit."

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

Arther pulled something out of his pocket. "I found this earlier in the throne room. Whoever murdered my parents must've left it there."

I looked at it. A small piece of paper, with words in faded ink.

Black Raven Tavern

"What.... is this?" Dan furrowed his brows.

"I think this place is located in The City somewhere. My best guess is if you find where it is, you might find more clues. BUT, I wouldn't go chasing around some dangerous murderer." Arther waggled a finger at his younger brother.

"I'm gonna find whoever killed my parents. No matter what it takes." Dan said determinedly.

Arther sighed. He sighed a lot lately.  

"Fine, you can go. Just..... stay safe. Send me emails to let me know you're fine?"

Dan nodded. "I will."

Arther pulled Dan into a hug.