Chap. 10

I sat beside Dan, sitting in the audience, watching the coronation go on. Arther stood by the podium as a drone carried the King's Crown to him.

The current world, a mix of magic and technology. Quite amazing, actually.

There was a long speech from Arther, about how he would lead the kingdom well, and blah, blah, blah, boring stuff— I was never a big fan of speeches, unless it came from Dan, because his speeches were so motivational and his voice is so sweet and melodic to listen to and—

I coughed.

Dan glanced at me with concern, but I shook it off. He turned back to his brother, seeming satisfied enough with my answer.

Arther gave his speech, some of the noblemen gave speeches of moving forward, blah, blah.

I tried not to yawn.

I looked at Dan, who was watching the ceremony with wide, curious eyes.

How was he not bored? But that's what I liked about him. Attentive to everything and everyone, ever so curious, and so amazingly adorable—

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME LATELY?!

I brushed a hair behind my ear, staying calm and casually on the outside.

I continued to watch the coronation, trying to cool down my reddened face.

And finally, the crown was placed on Arther's head, cheers and applause from the audience.

"In honor of this all and also to address the tragic death of our dear king and queen, my parents..."

There was a pause. Everyone, including myself, Dan, and Arther, bowed their heads, a moment of silence for the dead rulers.

"....I have had the cooks prepare chocolate cake, following my mother's very precise recipe. It... It's what my mother always used to make me and my brother when we were feeling down, or even happy." Arther's eyes were red, but he stood strong.

"Let us honor the deceased and move on, to a better future. Let us not live in the past." Arther said.

Two cooks then came in with a three-tier chocolate cake.

Ah, the chocolate cake. The one Dan had caught the scent of earlier. I had forgot about it with everything that happened.

I glanced at Dan, watching a tear escape his eye.

Oh.

It must bring back memories for him... Of his mother, of his childhood.... All which would then remind him of his.... dead... mother.... And father....

Dan suddenly chuckled sadly. "The cake reminds me of mom, but at the same it doesn't." He spoke. Frost began to cover his hair, crackling as it spread over his hair. His power was reflecting his own emotions of.... sadness. And a hint of, longing? Yes, longing.

"Mom's cakes were always small, but so amazing. That cake with all it's layering and heaves of frosting is nothing like what mom used to make me and Arther." He continued, watching the chocolate cake being carried over to the stage.

"Oh." That was all I could say in response.

Dan sniffled. "She— She was the queen, but she made the simplest chocolate cakes." Dan's voice cracked at the end.

My heartstrings were pulled down violently. It hurt when I saw Dan was sad.

It was not healthy, really.