Chap. 23

"Should we finally try to find where the Black Raven Tavern is?" I asked.

Dan nodded with a smile. "We've been here for... what, an hour and a half now."

I glanced outside. "The sun already set, so I think it would be best if we find a place to sleep for the night, and then go to find the Tavern tomorrow."

"Good thinking, Kari." Dan said.

He always called me 'Kari' as a nickname, but now, all of a sudden, the name felt so much more warmer.

Dan got up from the bench and tucked a hair behind my ear. I blushed.

Ah— who cares about professionalism.

He offered me a hand and I took it. He gently pulled me up to my own feet and then intertwined his fingers with mine.

"Let's go."

I nodded.

Me and Dan walked out of the station. We were in the city now. Right in the middle of it.

The skyscrapers loomed over us, with the streetlights blaring yellow light and flooding the concrete streets with light. Many people bustled around. Hover-cars honked in traffic, some speeding along in other lanes.

"Night life, huh?" I murmured.

Neither me, nor Dan had ever been to the city.

Oh wait no— Dan had come here with his parents when he was fifteen, for some diplomatic meeting with some other important people in the city. I hadn't been allowed to come, as it was a private matter situation. Maybe he'd know his way around better.

"I came here once, but I barely remember anything." Dan said, like he had read my thoughts.

Dan adjusted the strap of his satchel with the hand that wasn't holding mine.

"We can look at a map and find a hotel or some inn." He said, fishing out his ePhone. (A/N: basically a very futuristic iPhone)

He turned it on and a hologram of a floating cube instantly appeared.

"Where's the nearest hotel or inn?" Dan questioned.

The cube beeped, before giving its answer in a robotic voice.

'The Black Inn. Located at: 294 East Lakewood Street. Two minute walk from your current location.'

Dan turned to me, putting his ePhone away. "Wanna go there? It's two minutes."

I nodded. "Sure, a two minute walk isn't too bad."

Dan squeezed my hand.

It felt so amazing to hold Dan's warm hands. Speaking of, it was really cold in the city, even with a cloak.

I shivered.

Dan furrowed his brows at me with concern.

"Is it cold?" He asked.

"F—Freezing, actually." I said, shivering. It was colder than I thought.

I smiled a little. "Your power is ice, so you aren't affected by the cold, are you?"

Dan gave a little nod. "Yeah. Too bad I can't make it warmer, I can only make it cooler. I mean, I could try taking away some of the cold, but—"

I shook my head. "No, it's fine."

I glanced around. All the bustling people wore warm clothes, probably knowing it'd be cold.

Dan then took out his brown coat out of his satchel.

"Here, wear this." He said, handing it to me.

"But, it's yours." I protested.

"You're my girlfriend. Girlfriends can wear their boyfriend's clothes. I actually would think it'd be so adorable if you did. And also, I don't mind, if that's what you're worried about." Dan told me.

He sweetly draped the coat around me, pulling the cloak I had on to cover it. Then he helped me put in my arms.

Dan let go of my hand to stand directly in front of me.

I blushed.

He adjusted the coat for me, tucking the collar down.

"There," He said, looking satisfied.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

Dan beamed. "Anytime."