Chap. 6

I bared my teeth at the man. The guard lunged at me, pinning me down to the ground.

"You thought I'd just stop with the king and queen's murder?" He smirked. I struggled to get him off me and fight him off.

"So, you're the one who killed the king and queen?" I seethed. "Why?"

The guard laughed.

Earlier...

I walked into the kitchen. Dan was nowhere in sight. But a guard was there, sharpening a blade. With red still smeared on it.

He looked up at me.

"Ah, the bodyguard of Prince Aedan. He was lucky he had such a loyal bodyguard that stuck so close to him, protecting him. Otherwise, he would be dead too."

I narrowed my eyes.

What?

Then I connected the dots.

The guard was the one who killed the rulers!

I bared my teeth at him. I started to run right at him, ready to attack.

The guard lunged at me, pinning me down to the ground.

Back to the Present...

"Why. Did. You. Kill. Them?!" I demanded through gritted teeth.

The guard shrugged. "Find that out for yourself."

And then everything went black...

But it was like I had been blindfolded.

There was a shout and a muffled thud. Then a voice spoke into my ear, while my hands were still pinned down by something.

"You think this puny guard was the mastermind? Think again, girlie." A husky voice— a male, but it could well be from a female.

Then silence.

I felt whatever had bene pinning my hands and feet down go away.

And I could see again. I looked down. I gaped at the sight in horror.

The guard was dead. Choked to death? But by who?

What... So there's another criminal behind this? The guard wasn't the one who killed the king and queen?

Just then, a man entered the kitchen.

Lord Malcoy. I narrowed my eyes.

Interesting he came right after everything that had just happened....

"Lord Malcoy." I nodded my head, trying to still be polite. He was a nobleman after all and the most important after the royal figures.

"Hello," He greeted me, his voice a little husky. I raised an eyebrow.

He then cleared his throat.

"Miss Karise. Still body-guarding for Prince Aedan, I assume?" Lord Malcoy asked.

I nodded, still on edge and ready for anything. I had to be prepared.

And also... I had to find Dan, wherever he had gone.