Chap. 18

I slowly blinked, thinking to myself. Who killed the king and queen? Why? How? That was the most puzzling thing. And why were there so many assassins after Dan, trying to kill him? Why not Arther? But then again, it could've happened— assassinations on Arther— and I didn't hear of it. Everyone was so quiet these days. Even Arther barely knew of the assassination plots-- I had told him beforehand. If I hadn't, he wouldn't have even known!

Dan shifted in his sleep, mumbling something about flowers and blueberry tarts and being a man— strong or some nonsense. Kinda cute though.

At last, the train halted.

We have arrived. All passengers, please slowly and safely make your way off the train. Make sure to take all baggage with you.

I nudged Dan gently. "Hey, wake up. We're here." I said.

Dan groaned. "Five more minutes..." He mumbled adorably, eyes still closed.

"Dan, come on. We gotta get off." I said, a little more firmly.

"Noooooo~" Dan pouted.

I rolled my eyes, but a smile forced itself on my face. A kinda goofy smile, which I shouldn't be having, as a professional and as a bodyguard. I had to be stoic.

"Ah, young love. Kids these days." An elderly woman said fondly to her husband, as they walked by, heading to get off the train.

I flushed.

Me and Dan weren't— I mean, we kinda seemed like it— we weren't though.

"Dan, come on. We need to get off!" I said.

Dan tucked his face in his seat, and proceeded to sleep again. Oh my god—

"As cute as you are, we really need to get off or else this train is gonna go again." I said.

"You think I'm cute?" Dan opened one eye.

I groaned. "Just get up already."

Dan yawned (like a little kitten— wait no, not the time Karise!) and slowly stood up.

His eyes were lidded with sleep— he was barely keeping them open.

"...Tell you what," I said, feeling sympathetic. "We can walk a bit off and then I'll let you sleep some more when there's a suitable place." I offered.

"Sure, sounds good." Dan yawned again.

He shuffled beside me and leaned his head on my shoulder. I stiffened.

"Sorry, you don't mind do you?" Dan half asked, half mumbled.

Just how tired was he? Not that I minded this side of Dan— KARISE NO! FOCUS! BE PROFESSIONAL!

"Of course I don't mind." I said calmly. In the inside, my heart was thumping wildly. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if a hummingbird had replaced my heart.

I stepped out of the train, Dan attached to me.

Dan was barely walking, as he leaned onto me. I supported almost all of his weight, if not all. Not that he was heavy or anything.

I walked, supporting Dan's weight, towards an empty, unoccupied bench. The silvery wood gleamed in the lights overhead.

I squinted out the window. The sun had begun to set over the horizon, invisible brushes painting the sky dark bloody red.

Already sunset? 

A/N: my chapters are getting shorter :')