Chap. 30

Just then, a man with his face and limbs entirely covered in hoarfrost, stumbled into the room.

"Sir! The boy! He's been crying and asking us to take him back to the girl! And he used his powers— he must be one of those nobility kids with powers!— and froze everyone! I managed to get out! Alec already put those special chains on the boy so he couldn't use his powers!"

Well, that sounded like my Dan.

Lieutenant Grange frowned. Then he sighed. "Bring the boy here. Make sure he's chained up good. Don't want him to create any more messes."

Hope filled me. Dan was coming! The real Dan. My Dan.

Lieutenant Grange stared at me with cold eyes. "You were lucky." He sneered. "But you won't be as lucky the rest of your stay here."

I looked up at him defiantly. "We'll see about that."

The lieutenant clenched his fist and stormed out of the room. I was left with silence once again.

I was left with only my thoughts. Oh, and my hands chained up still.

So, me and Dan were kidnapped and then knocked out, brought here, and kept here.

 I don't know if Dan was chained too or what happened to him when he arrived here— I'll have to ask him— and then that lieutenant came in, pretending to be Dan— but obviously, he didn't know who Dan actually is and he didn't know who I was exactly.

He was panicking when I insisted he use my name— and he didn't know it, and that would then reveal himself.

So, who is the head boss here? And why did they capture me and Dan?

The door to the room burst open again. Lieutenant Grange was back. And with Dan. However...

My mouth dropped open in utter shock. At the sight before me. At the state Dan was in.

"Dan! What happened?!" I cried out.

His wrists were tied together, with a thick clamp around his hands, glowing— probably to make his powers inactive.

His bottom lip was bleeding, a cut ran across his cheek. His exposed arms were littered with purple and black bruises. His cape appeared to have been torn off completely. His shirt and pants were ripped.

I saw raging red.

WHAT. DID. THEY. DO. TO. MY. DAN?!

Lieutenant Grange shoved Dan towards me. He stumbled, and I pulled at my chains to catch him as he fell. I shot a nasty glare at the lieutenant.

His nose flared in response, eyes boiling with annoyance.

I steadied Dan, and then slowly had Dan sit down beside me.

Gingerly, I fingered his features.

Then I squeezed my boyfriend's hand.

"Karise," he whispered, eyes welling with tears.

Tears sprung to my eyes too.

"I—" I got choked up.

Dan leaned into me (not being able to hug me since his wrists were bound up), and I pressed my chin into his shoulder. I could feel the steady warmth from Dan and I soaked it in.

I soaked in his scent of vanilla— tinged with the rusty smell of blood. 

"I—I thought I'd never see you again." Dan whispered, looking up at me.

"Me too. I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold your hands, or— or look into your eyes, or— or ever talk to you." I murmured.

Dan's eyes scrunched up at the corners as he smiled softly. "Never knew you were so cheesy," He whispered.

I gazed into Dan's unblinking emerald orbs, gleaming with love and perfection. He stared back at me.

Unfortunately, someone ruined out moment.

"Ew, you two were together, together?" Lieutenant Grange made a grossed out face.

I glared at him.

"Are." I corrected. "We are dating."

Then I added, "What's it to you?"

"Some old, disgusting fool of a man in his 50s." I muttered.

Dan giggled.