Chapter Six: Misery

"Bob!" Sasha whispered loudly as she trudged through the forest, clutching her rifle. She came to a stop and studied the carving that was made in a tree ahead of her, suddenly a twig snapped behind her and she jumped and spun around, holding her gun up and looking through the scope. Janie's face appeared, tinted green with the crosshare on her nose. Sasha exhaled and lowered her gun.
"Have you seen Bob?" Sasha asked and Janie shook her head.
"Daryl and Carol are missin' too."
Sasha tilted her head to the side signalling for Janie to move out the way. She did and Sasha raised her gun and shot the walker which was approaching. As it fell, Tyreese and Rick appeared behind it.
"We found Bob." Rick said,
"What about Daryl?" Janie asked desperately but they had already started running back towards the church.

They approached the figure, lay on the grass. Sasha was the first to see it, she screamed in agony when she noticed. Then Janie saw, one of Bob's legs was missing and a bandage wrapped stump was left in its place. Tyreese and Rick picked him up and everyone ran back into the church.

"I was in the graveyard." Bob said when he finally woke up. "Sombody knocked me out. I woke up outside this place. It was that guy Gareth from Terminus and five others, they were eating my leg right in front of me."
Janie looked at Rick and he leant forward,
"Did they have Daryl and Carol?"
Bob shook his head and groaned for a moment. "Gareth said they drove off." Then he started to cry, he lifted his hand to his neck and pulled back his tshirt to reveal a bite on his collarbone.

They carried Bob to the office at the back of the church and lay him down on the sofa while Janie sat down on one of the pews and sighed in defeat. Daryl had left her again.

"I want you to stay here." Rick said to Janie. Most of the group were going to look for Gareth and the other people from Terminus.
"Why?" She asked him,
"You can help look after Judith and Bob." He replied before handing her a pistol. "And if they come to the church, I heard you're a good shot."
"Rick, I think she should come with us." Glenn said nervously and Janie narrowed her eyes at him.
"Why?" She asked him suspiciously and he just shrugged. "You don't trust me do you?"
"I wasn't gonna say it but-"
"Wow!" Janie yelled and Rick glared at Glenn.
"She's Merle's daughter." Glenn yelled. "Leaving her with Judith-"
"I ain't gonna kill the baby!"

~

"Hey." Janie said to Carl. "Why do you wear that dumbass hat?"
"My dad gave it to me, he was a Sheriff before all this." He replied before pointing at a string of bottle caps hung around her neck. "Why do you wear that necklace?"
"None of your business."
The sound of the front door creaking open echoed around the church and Janie and Carl clutched their guns. Gabriel clutched his rosary.
"Well I guess you know we're here." Gareths voice called out. "And we know you're here. There's really no point in hiding anymore." Janie and Carl stood up slowly and faced the door with their guns raised. "We know who's here, there's Bob, unless you've put him out of his misery already. Eugene, Rosita, Tyreese, Janie, Carl, Judith. Rick and the rest walked out with a lot of your guns." There was a beat and suddenly the door handle rattled for a moment before stopping. Then someone cocked their gun. "How 'bout the priest. Father if you wrap this up, we'll let you walk away." Janie and Carl both looked down at Gabriel who was crouched in the corner hugging his knees, and glared at him. "You can take the baby with you."
As if she heard them talking about her, Judith started to cry.
"Shit." Janie whispered putting her head in her palm. "Shut her up." Carl nodded and knelt down next to Judith. Suddenly there were two thuds right outside the door and muffled speaking. Janie slowly walked to the door and put her ear to it to hear Gareths voice.
"Rick, we'll fire right into that office. So you lower your gun." Janie looked back at Carl with her brow furrowed and tilted her head, gesturing for him to join her. He put his ear next to the door just in time to hear a yelp of pain outside.
"Put your guns on the floor and kneel." Rick's voice spoke and there were several thuds of guns hitting the floor.

"Why doesn't your dad just kill them already?" Janie whispered, they had been listening to Gareth beg for his life for a couple of minutes now and it was starting to become redundant.
"He will." Carl whispered back.
"Sure." She replied sarcastically before slowly turning the key in the door and opening it a crack. As she did, Rick raised a machete above his head and swung it down onto Gareths neck. Behind him Michonne was bashing someone's head in with the stock of her gun and Sasha was stabbing someone in the chest. Janie nodded and smiled before closing the door again. "Hmm." She said turning to Carl. "I guess your dad is pretty cool."

~

They buried Bob just outside of the church, on the edge of the forest. Not in the graveyard at the back with the rest of the unknown bodies. A few people got up and spoke and, as the ceremony came to an end, Janie looked up, over the grave, to see a figure emerging from the trees.
"Daryl!" She exclaimed and everyone looked up. She ran over to him and jumped into his arms, he span her around before gently placing her back on her feet.
"Where's Carol?" Michonne asked and Daryl looked behind him.
"Come on out." He said and a young man with dark skin emerged from behind the trees. "This is Noah."
Noah nodded before opening his mouth.
"Carol and Beth are in trouble."

- Princexiero xx