Chapter Sixty-Two: Dying

Janie was left with Daryl and Judith. She watched as her uncle's blood travelled through the tube and into Judith's arm. Suddenly Judith's eyes opened and she looked around, terrified.
"What happening?" She asked as she looked at her shoulder. "Where am I?"
"You're okay." Daryl said as he stroked her hair. "You're at the hospital."
"Why?" She asked. "Am I going to die."
"No, sweetheart." Janie replied. "You're not going to die."
"It feels like I'm gonna die." Judith spoke frantically, her eyes wide in shock. "I can't. Mom's gonna find dad and we're going to be together. We're all gonna be together."
Janie and Daryl's faces dropped and looked at each other for a moment with furrowed brows. When they looked back at the young girl, she was asleep again.
"Jude?" Janie spoke.
"Come on girl." Daryl shook her arm. "Wake up."
Suddenly Carol appeared at the door.
"The hospitals overrun." She panted. "We've got to go."

Daryl grabbed the gurney that Judith was on and wheeled it towards the door. In the hallway everyone was fighting walkers, creating a path to the back door of the hospital. They ran down the hallway and opened the door to see Mercer waiting for them with a large, military truck.
"Get in!" He yelled as they lifted Judith off of the bed and everyone piled in.

Mercer drove them into the estates where Yumikos brother, Tomi lived. He was a surgeon.
"She's in a fragile state." Tomi said as they brought Judith in. "It's good you gave her blood."

Janie stood in the doorway, watching Daryl stroke Judith's hair. Slowly, she woke up and smiled at him.
"Hey little ass kicker." He spoke.
"Hey big ass kicker." She replied. "What I said about mom and dad..."
"Is that true?" He asked.
"It's why she never came back." She replied. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I was scared you would leave too."
"I'm right here." He whispered.
Suddenly Janie heard the sound of gunshots coming from outside. She looked out of the window beside her to see thousands people at the gates of the estates asking to be let in. The hoard was approaching them. Pamela Milton was just stood watching them, an army of soldiers surrounding her.

Everyone stepped out of the house, guns risen. Pamela Milton pointed at Mercer.
"You!" She spat. "Traitor!"
"No, you are governor." He replied. "You disappeared hundreds of citizens. Led the dead to our doorstep. You shot a child. And now you've left thousands out there to die."
Gabriel walked towards the gate before turning back.
"I'll kill anyone who tries to stop me!" He yelled and the soldiers lowered their weapons.
"Pamela Milton." Mercer spoke. "You are under arrest for high crimes against the people of the Commonwealth." He turned to the soldiers. "Cuff her!"
Gabriel raised his axe above his head and brought it down onto the lock of the gate, shattering it. The gate swung open and everyone ran in.

- Princexiero xx