Chapter Twenty-Eight: Confessions

The next morning, Janie and Daryl packed up their belongings and left the Kingdom.

They could just about see the Hilltops gates when a voice shouted their name.
"Daryl! Jane!"
They looked around to see Rosita walked towards them with a large bag on her shoulder.
"What's in the bag?" Daryl asked as she got closer to them.
"A sniper rifle." She replied nonchalantly.
"Did we miss something?" Janie asked and Rosita nodded.
"We found another community." She replied. "Some weird Scavengers who live in a scrapyard, led by this woman, Jadis. She said they'd help us fight Negan but only if we bring them a shit load of guns, Michonne and Rick are out looking now."
"And you?" Daryl asked.
"Me and Sasha are gonna take out Negan ourselves." She replied. "He took Eugene."

"Enid, you're up next." Sasha said and Enid stepped forward, she looked behind her at Janie and smiled before taking a knife from Sasha. She held onto the tip of the blade and pulled her arm back over her shoulder before swinging it forward and letting go, the knife spun through the air and stuck into the log in front of her. The crowd clapped as she smiled at her efforts and walked to the back of the line.
"Nice one Enid." Sasha said. "Jane."
Janie stepped forward and took a knife before turning it in her hand and nodding, then she held it by its wooden handle with the blade pointing at the log and threw it as hard as she could. It landed inches away from Enids and everybody clapped.
Sasha looked around at the forest which was starting to go dark as the sun was setting. "I think that's it for today guys." She spoke. "You all did really good."

The next morning, Janie stepped out of her trailer to see Daryl sat on a bench sharpening his knife.
"Morning." She said and he looked up at her, shielding his eyes from the sun and smiled.
"Mornin'."
Janie looked over at the gate to see Sasha and Rosita walking towards it, with the gun over Rositas shoulder. They looked back quickly and waved at the pair before continuing on through the gate and out of the Hilltop.
As the gate closed behind them, a man on lookout started to bang two metal poles together, the clanging noise echoing around the entire settlement.
"The Saviours are coming!" He yelled before banging the poles once again.
"Come on." Daryl grunted as he jumped up off of the bench, they ran behind the mansion as the gates started to open once again and the sound of engines revving could be heard from behind them. Daryl opened the cellar door and they both ran down the stairs before shutting the door behind them.
"Daryl?" A voice whispered from behind a crate of freshly dug up potato's. He quickly pulled back the crate to reveal Maggie. "Hide in here."

They got in and suddenly the cellar door creaked open letting light pour into the dark room, heavy footsteps came down the stairs and a tall bearded man appeared at the bottom. He looked around for a moment before picking up a crate of onions, he took one out, turned it in his hand and smelled it before putting it back. Janie looked down at the knife strapped to his waist before pulling her own knife out and gripping it so hard her knuckles began to turn white. Daryl grabbed her hand to stop her from doing anything stupid. The man stacked a few more boxes and crates full of vegetables up in his arms before leaving once again.
"What is wrong with you?" Daryl whispered sternly as soon as they heard the door slam shut.
"The knife he had on his hip." Janie replied as they left their cramped hiding spot. "It's Enid's."
"Shit." Maggie whispered as Daryl looked through a crack in the door. "You don't think they're-"
"I don't know." Janie replied.
"Daryl, will you look at me." Maggie suddenly snapped. "Ever since you got here you haven't said a word to me."
"What's up?" Janie asked him, putting a hand on his shoulder, he pushed her away and turn to face them to reveal tears rolling down his face.
"I'm sorry." He whispered to Maggie, his lip quivering as he did.
"It wasn't your fault." Maggie replied but Daryl nodded his head and sniffed.
"It was."
"No." Maggie said sternly. "It wasn't."
"You've got to believe her." Janie said taking her uncle's hand in hers and stroking his palm with her thumb.
"You're one of the good things in this world." Maggie said. "That's what Glenn thought and he would know because he was one of the good things too."
She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him as he buried his head in her shoulder, she hugged him for a second before opening one of her arms and looking at Janie.
"Come here." She said and Janie stepped forward and joined them.

Suddenly the door open and they all broke from their hug and ran towards the spot they were hid in before. Daryl tugged at the crates but the person was nearly down the stairs. Finally the crates were out of the way but the person was there now.
"Enid!" Janie shouted before running to her and hugging her.
"They're all gone now." She said as Maggie and Daryl looked at her relieved. "But they've taken Doctor Carson... and my knife."

- Princexiero xx