Chapter Fourty-Seven: Limp

"Dog!" Janie called as she patted her leg and he left the tree he was sniffing and ran to her side. She pulled a cigarette from her pocket and held it in her mouth as she lit it. She took a drag and looked down at the forest floor, there was a stick next to her foot glistening with blood. She picked it up and held it out in front of Dogs nose who sniffed it quickly. He ran ahead and she walked slowly in the same direction while continuing to smoke, suddenly his bark echoed around the trees. She took off running until she found him, he was sniffing a dead boar that lay limply on the ground. It had some kind of puncture wound on one of its back legs and it's torso was chewed on by walkers. Janie stroked Dog before reaching into her back pocket and pulling out a small piece of cooked squirrel.
"Good Dog." She said as she held it out on the palm of her hand and he ate it happily.
Dog barked again and started using his paws to dig up the dirt below him.
"Woah boy." Janie said. "What have you found?"
He stopped and she looked down to see more blood soaked into the fallen leaves, she looked ahead to see that the blood formed a sort of trail.

Janie followed the blood and it wasn't long before she saw who it led to. Slouched against a tree, groaning in pain was Kelly, she had a cut on her forehead and her mouth was full of blood.
"Kelly!" She yelled but she didn't look up. "Kelly!"
A walker had just appeared and it was stumbling towards her so Janie took off in a run.
"HYAA!" She yelled as she killed the walker and finally Kelly spat blood onto floor next to her and looked up. Janie quickly grabbed the bottle of water that was attached to her belt and lifted Kelly's head slightly by her chin, then she poured some of the water into her mouth. Then she ripped the bottom of her vest off and poured some more water onto the rag before dabbing it onto Kelly's forehead to clean the blood that coated it.
"Thanks." She croaked.
"What happened?"
"I was tracking this boar and suddenly my hearing went all fuzzy, it started fading in and out and there was this loud ringing in my ears." She replied. "I'm not too sure what happened after that." Janie nodded before standing up and holding her hand out, Kelly took it and Janie pulled her to her feet.
"Let's get you back to Hilltop."

As they neared Hilltop, Janie noticed something strange, a panel of the wall had come down and a large tree lay in its place.
"A tree came down." Kelly spoke as if she suddenly remembered. "That's why I was out. To gather supplies for the injured people."

As they entered the gate Daryl and Connie sprinted towards them.
"What's goin' on?" Daryl asked as Connie took her sister from Janies arm.
"I just found her like this." Janie explained. "Her hearin' is getting worse."
Connie put her fingers to her chin, signing thank you and Janie smiled before turning to her uncle, he had a look on his face, a serious one.
"We have to go back to Alexandria."

Janie and Daryl arrived at Alexandria and were met with panic. Frantic people talking about Siddiq.
"What's going on?" Janie asked Rosita who was bouncing her daughter Coco on her hip.
"He's dead." She replied.
"Wha-"
"Jane!" Lydia shouted as she ran over. "Jane, we need to talk."
"Not right now." Janie replied as her and Daryl followed Rosita.

Rosita took them to Alexandria's infirmary where a man was sat, tied to a gurney. The man was large with broad shoulders and a neat beard. Gabriel stood beside him, glaring at the man.
"He's one of them." Rosita spoke. "He's a skin and he's been living here for four months without us knowing." She paused for a moment and took a couple of breaths. "He murdered Siddiq."

Daryl's fist landed on the man's face and his nose made a cracking noise.
"I hope that hurt." Janie spat.
"It doesn't matter?" The man shook his head and smirked. "None of this matters."
"Siddiq trusted you." Gabriel spoke. "Why put him through all that hell in the barn just to kill him months later?"
"I liked Siddiq." The man said and Rosita scoffed.
"Oh, you liked him?"
"He wasn't part of the plan." He continued. "But he found out who I was so I had no choice."
"What was the plan?" Janie asked.
"Encourage your paranoia about us." He replied. "Push you into bad decisions. I'm gonna enjoy watching you rip each other apart over what to do to me. Just like with Negan."

Janie stood up and stomped out of the room to see Carol waiting outside.
"Have you seen Lydia?" Janie asked her. "I need to talk to her."
"She's gone." Carol replied.
"What do you mean, she's gone?" Janie asked.
"She ran away."

- Princexiero xx