Chapter Nineteen: Fearless

"See this." Dary pointed to a part of his motorbike and Janie nodded. "That's the carburetor. You always check that when you got problems with your bike."
"How come?" Janie asked.
"An issue with that could mean an issue with the whole bike." He replied. "But its easy to fix."
Someone cleared their throat and the pair both looked up to see Rosita and Denise, the resident doctor, stood in front of them.
"Denise wants to tell you something." Rosita sighed and crossed her arms as Denise pulled a map from her pocket and unfolded it to reveal an area nearby circled in red pen.
"After I got out of DC, I just drove." She said as Daryl stood up to take a look. "I remember seeing it right when I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. Its just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if its really an apothecary, they had drugs."
"How do you know they still got 'em?" Daryl asked.
"It isn't that far." Denise replied. "I just want to check."
"You good with this?" He turned to Rosita who was shaking her head.
"No."
"I'll go alone if I have to." Denise said and Janie scoffed.
"You'll die alone."
"Alright fine." Daryl sighed before turning to his niece. "You comin'?"
Janie burst out laughing before stopping suddenly to study her uncle's serious face.
"Oh you weren't joking?" She asked. "Yeah, fuck no."
"Alright." Daryl said. "See you later."
"Miss you already."
Janie watched them walk off before looking down at the motorbike and sighing, then she looked towards the wall to see Carl and Enid giggling as they climbed over it. She groaned.
"Wait for me!"

Fitting Daryl, Janie, Denise and Rosita in the cab of a pickup truck proved tricky but soon they were driving out of Alexandria's gates in awkward silence.

The truck pulled up in front of a large tree that had fallen across the road.
"Stay here." Daryl said to Janie and Denise as he turned of the engine and he and Rosita got out.
Janie watched as the pair walked around the tree, breaking small branches off and killing walkers that were stuck underneath.
"So..." Denise said and Janie groaned, she was hoping Denise wouldn't talk to her at all. "Do you think the truck...." She didn't trail off, Janie just stopped listening. As soon as she saw Daryl approaching the truck once more, she jumped out.
"We'll have to walk the rest of the way." He said. "The truck won't get through."
He turned to the tree ready to climb over it and follow the road but Rosita stopped him.
"It would be quicker to follow the tracks." She said pointing to the train tracks that ran behind them.
"I don't care." Daryl replied walking towards the tree. "You can go whatever way you want."
Denise quickly caught up with Daryl as Janie's eyes flicked back and fourth to the two groups, her eyes fell on Rosita and then back to Daryl and Denise.
"Fuck that." She said before walking towards the train tracks where Rosita was waiting for her, smiling.

"Peace and quiet." Janie said happily as her and Rosita trecked down the train tracks.
"Right." Rosita agreed. "Look what I found." She held up a plastic bag full of small bottles of various different alcoholic drinks. Janie's eyes lit up. "What do you want?" Rosita asked her.
"Suprise me." Janie replied before being handed a bottle of Fireball whiskey. She downed it.

"Did you know Eugene loves to watch people have sex?" Rosita asked giggling making Janie burst out laughing.
"What you two laughing about." The pair looked up to see Daryl and Denise both slightly out of breath from their walk.
"You took your time." Janie said as she stood up.
"Are you drunk?" He asked angrily.
"No." Janie replied.

It wasn't long before they found the shop they were looking for, the entire shop front was littered with bloody handprints. Janie thought it looked quite cool. Daryl prized the door open with a crowbar to reveal a dark, dusty shop that contained rows of glass cabinets containing jewellery and trinkets. As they entered the room, the smell of rotting flesh hit them, a smell that Janie was all too familiar with. Denise, however, immediately gagged.
"We gonna find out what you had for breakfast?" Daryl asked.
"Oatmeal." She replied.
At the end of the shop was where the medicine was, shelves stocked full of it.

They grabbed everything that would fit in their bags before following the tracks back to the truck.
"I've got it!" Janie yelled as she ran towards the walker that was stumbling along the track.
"Can I help?" Denise asked and Janie sighed.
"Yeah, sure."
Denise pulled her machete out and held it up as the walker continued to walk closer to her, then she froze. The walker grabbed both of her shoulders and fell into her, pinning her to the ground. Janie watched as she struggled and Rosita and Daryl ran to help.
"Leave her." Janie said. "She can do it."
Soon enough, Denise released her arms from the walkers grip and held her machete up before bringing it down into the creatures head, then she pushed it off of her and vomited onto the floor next to it.
"You're really not cut out for this." Janie said, shaking her head and chuckling.
"I know." She panted. "How do you do it? You're so young and-" Suddenly she stopped and they all noticed something. An arrow had just flown straight through the back of her head and out of her eye. "-fearless." She said before collapsing to the ground.
Janie watched her body hit the floor as she reached for her gun from its holster and a group of around ten men emerged from the trees.
"You drop 'em now!" A skinny man with blonde hair and a large burn across one side of his face demanded. His gun wasn't pointed at them however, his was pointed next to him at Eugene.
Rosita and Daryl lowered their guns immediately and then so did Janie as the man pushed Eugene to his knees.
"You got something to say to me?" The blonde man asked looking straight at Daryl. "You gonna clear the air?" Daryl didn't answer as the man lifted up his old crossbow. "Still getting the hang of her."
Janie over at her uncle, he looked scared.
"Who is he?" She asked but he ignored her.
"I should have done it." He said.
"What was that?" The man asked. "Seriously I didn't catch that."
"I should have killed you." Daryl replied.
"What the fuck did you do to my uncle?" Janie stepped forward and yelled at the man.
"Step back." He replied calmly as Daryl grabbed her arm and pulled her back next to him. She pulled away from his grasp angrily.
"What do you want?" Rosita demanded.
"I'm sorry darlin'," the man spoke softly. "I didn't catch your name. I'm D, or Dwight."
"Rosita. What do you want?"
"Well Rosita." Dwight replied savouring her name in his mouth. "You're gonna let me into your little complex and take whatever and whoever we want or we blow Eugene's brains out."
Janie looked down at Eugene as he said this and furrowed her brow, he was just staring at Dwights crotch. She considered that Eugene's eyes were at perfect crotch height but he could look in the other direction. Maybe he was more of a pervert than Rosita let on. She watched as he leaned in further, opened his mouth and bit down aggressively on Dwights junk. Dwight let out a scream of pain as several gunshots went off and the men stood in the treeline all fell to the floor. Dwight made a run for it as Abraham emerged from the trees.

Janie stared into the hole she had just dug as Daryl gently lay Denise's body into it. He stood back and stared at it too as a tear rolled down his cheek.
"Don't look." Janie whispered, taking his hand in hers. "I'll fill in the hole."
Daryl let go of her hand and wiped his tears before shaking his head.
"Nah." He grunted. "I can do it."
She sat down on the ground, hugging her knees, as he picked up the shovel and started to fill the hole back in.
"Who's Dwight?" She asked. "How do you know him?"
"He's the prick that stole my bike." Daryl replied.

- Princexiero xx