Chapter Seventeen: The Hilltop

Half an hour later the RV pulled up outside a tall wooden fence, Jesus led them to a pair of gates where two guards stood.
"Stop right there!" One of them demanded.
"You gonna make us?" Daryl asked holding up his crossbow.
"Jesus, what the hell is this?" The other guard asked.
"Open the gates!" Jesus yelled back before turning to the group. "I'm sorry about them, they get antsy standing up there all day doing nothing."
The gates opened to reveal a dirt road, on one side of the road were several wooden huts that contained blacksmithing stations, large brick ovens and pens full of livestock. On the other side was a row of trailers that people were walking in and out of. And at the end of the road was a brick mansion, it had to be because it was the biggest house Janie had ever seen.
"There was a materials yard for a power company nearby." Jesus said as he led them inside. "That's how we put up the walls. A lot of people came from a FEMA camp, the trailers came with them. And that." He pointed to the mansion. "Is called Barrington House. The family that owned it gave it to the state in the '30s, the state turned it into a living history museum."
He opened the doors and everyone stepped into the large entrance hall. Inside the walls were cream with an ornate pattern that only showed when the light shone right, the tall windows were covered with pristine lace curtains and a golden chandelier hung from the ceiling, there were two doors that came off either side of the room and a grand staircase sat at the end. Janie pulled a long, red candle out of its candlestick holder beside her and turned it in her hands, one of the doors opened making her drop the candle on the floor. The man stood in the doorway was old, he had a grey beard and a balding head and he wore a suit.
"Everyone, this is Gregory." Jesus said as Janie kicked the candle underneath the table that it was originally sat on. "He keeps the trains running on time around here."
"I'm the boss." Gregory said popping the collar of his suit jacket and smiling.
"I'm Rick." Rick replied. "We have a commun-"
"Why don't y'all get cleaned up?" Gregory interrupted him.
"We're fine." Rick smiled and narrowed his eyes at the man.
"Jesus will show you where you can get washed up." Gregory ignored him. "It's hard to keep this place clean."

Daryl, Abraham and Janie stayed where they were while everyone else headed upstairs with Jesus.
"How long do you think Rick and Michonne been ugging bumplies?" Abraham asked the pair. Janie snorted in amusement.
"I don't know." Daryl grunted.
"You ever think about it?" Abraham asked Daryl who stared back in bewilderment. "Settling down?"
Daryl didn't answer, instead he looked over to Janie who was in fits of laughter about the whole conversation.
"Aw come on." Abraham continued. "You don't have a boyfriend Jane?" She shrugged. "You're fifteen, you've got to."
"Nah."

The group returned and it was time to talk trade when a man came bursting into the house, he looked angry.
"What's wrong?" Gregory asked.
"They're back." He replied.
They followed Gregory outside where a large man with a bushy beard and man bun was stood.
"Where's everyone else?" Gregory asked the man. "Tim and Marsha?"
"They're dead." The man replied.
"Negan?" Gregory asked and he nodded.
"He said you didn't give him enough." The man said. "And that I have to deliver this message to you." The man put a hand on Gregory's shoulder and with the other hand pulled a knife from his pocket and drove it into his stomach before running away.

Maggie took Gregory to the medical trailer and Jesus led everyone else back inside.
"Who's Negan?" Janie asked. "I've heard that name before."
"We had a run in with his men." Daryl added.
"Negan's the head of a group of people he calls the Saviours." Jesus replied. "As soon as the walls were built they showed up, they made alot of demands, even more threats and he killed one of us, they beat him to death right in front of us. Said we needed to understand right off the bat. Half of our supplies, our crops, our livestock goes to the Saviours."
"How many people does Negan have?" Rick asked.
"We've seen groups as big as 20." Jesus shrugged.
"If we kill Negan, take out his boys, will you hook us up?" Daryl asked. "We want food, medicine and one of them cows."

They were on the drive back home when Glenn handed Michonne what seemed to be a piece of paper, she looked at it and smiled before handing it to Daryl, Janie looked over to see a photograph of Maggie and Glenn's baby scan they had gotten at the Hilltops medical trailer. She snorted.
"Give it here." She said as she took it from Daryl's hand. "It looks like an alien." She looked at Glenn and watched his smile turn to a frown as he leant forward and snatched the photo out of her hand and stuffed it back in his pocket.

- Princexiero xx