Chapter Fifty-Seven: Settling In

Day 35 In The Commonwealth
Janie walked down the highstreet and the ice cream van came into sight, Kelly was sat outside waiting.

"I already got you one." Kelly said as she handed Janie an ice cream. "Strawberry right?"
"Thanks." Janie smiled. "How was work?"
"Me and Connie are writing an article about Tyler Davis, you know the guy from the Masquerade Ball?" Kelly asked and Janie nodded. "You know, what happened to him to make him lash out like that. Apparently he has PTSD but I don't trust the military doctors." Kelly took a deep breath, she was getting worked up. "I'm afraid they won't let us print the truth."
"Hey." Janie spoke calmly, holding her hand across the table. "Chill out. This is meant to be a nice time."
"That's actually why I wanted to see you today." Kelly said, smiling softly. "I was wondering if you wanted to make this official, you know. Do you want to officially be my girlfriend?"
Kelly was grinning ear to ear but Janie's smile dropped. She had been hoping to avoid this topic.
"Oh." She spoke and Kelly frowned. "I don't know."
"What?" Kelly asked. "What have we been doing for the past six months then. I thought this was obvious." The pair went quiet and Janie shrugged. "Jane!"
"I can't be your girlfriend." Janie finally spoke. "I can't be your girlfriend because I've never done this before, I've never even seen a healthy relationship." She paused for a moment and sighed. "Im terrified. I'm terrified that I'm gonna fuck this up, scare you away or something." Kelly opened her mouth to speak but Janie continued. "When I was younger there was this girl that I liked and she was killed, after that I swore I'd never get close to anyone like that again." Janie squeezed her eyes shut to get rid of the tears that were welling in her eyes. "The only sex I've had has been against my will. I'm helping Daryl pay our rent, I don't have money to be taking you out or buying you gifts."
"Jane." Kelly sighed. "I don't care about any of that. I don't want expensive gifts or sex. I was to fight with you, by your side, I want to be able to introduce you as my girlfriend. Please?"
Janie didn't say anything for a moment, waiting for her heart rate to lower.
"Okay." She smiled. "Yes."

34 Days Ago
"Full name?" A stern ginger woman asked.
"Janie Dixon." Janie replied.
"Date of birth?" A large bald man asked.
"April 5th 1998."
"Height?"
"I don't know." Janie furrowed her brow and shook her head.
"Weight?"
"I have no idea." She wondered why they needed this information.
"Education?"
"Not much." She replied. "I was twelve when this shit started."
"You seem sceptical about The Commonwealth."
"I am." She spoke bluntly. "I don't trust it at all and I don't belong here. I belong out there like I have been my entire life."
"Then why didn't you stay out there?"
Janie thought about the people who did stay, Maggie, Aaron, Lydia.
"I didn't come here for me." She said. "I came here for Judith and RJ. They deserve a normal life, they shouldn't have to dodge death at every corner."

- Princexiero xx