Chapter Fifty-Six: Masquerade

Day 31 In The Commonwealth
Janie woke to feel something heavy on her feet. She kicked and the object landed on the floor next to her. She rubbed her eyes and looked over to see a paper bag, she sat up and peered inside to see a bundle of black fabric. She tipped the bag on the bed and lifted the contents up to find it was a dress. It was black with a tulle skirt.
"Daryl!" She yelled. "Daryl! What the fuck is this?"
"Language." RJ said as the bathroom door opened. Daryl stood in the doorway smiling.
"Do you like it?" He asked.
"How much was it?" She asked him and he shook his head.
"Don't worry about it." He replied. "I've pulled some favours, Rosita's going to do your hair and makeup and Carol has some heels and jewelry you can borrow. Oh and..." He walked over to the sofa and grabbed something from behind a cushion. It was a black, sparkly eye mask. "It is a Masquerade Ball after all."

Janie looked in the mirror and tugged at her dress. She sighed and dropped her arms.
"I look stupid." She said.
"No you don't." Rosita replied. "You look great."
Janie stepped backwards and wobbled before falling to the floor.
"I can't wear these." She said tugging at her high heels.
"Put some boots on." Rosita instructed. "Then it'll be perfect."

Janie took a drag from her cigarette before crossing her arms over her body as she walked towards the hall where the ball was being held. She dropped her cigarette on the floor and stamped it out with her foot as Kelly came into view. She was stood outside the hall, chewing on her finger nails and she was wearing a sleek black suit.
"You look amazing." Janie said as she looked Kelly up and down before kissing her.
"So do you." She replied, smiling.
"I don't feel it." Janie replied rubbing her arm nervously.
"Put your mask on and take my hand." Kelly held her hand out and Janie gave it a squeeze as they walked up the steps towards the double doors.

Inside the low hum of chatter filled the room along with the chime of a harp being played in the corner. The room was adorned in red, lace curtains and ornate golden wall paper and slender black pillars held up the balcony above them.
"Want some wine?" Magna asked Janie and Kelly, they spun around to see her, she wearing a white shirt and black suit trousers and a tight bun sat at the back of her head. "I hear its really good."
Kelly shook her head but Janie took a glass from the tray and drank it in one gulp.

"Testing. Testing." A voice came from the stage at the front of the hall followed by microphone feedback. Janie turned to see Lance Hornsby wearing a light pink suit and marroon tie that did not match. "It is my honour tonight to introduce someone who needs no introduction, our esteemed leader, the Governor of the Commonwealth, Miss Pamela Milton."
The hall erupted with applause as an older woman with a blonde pixie cut and purple suit came onto the stage.
"Thank you all for coming out this evening." She said with a large smile on her face. "My father would be so proud to see what the Commonwealth is today, how much this place protects and cares for all its citizens."
"Bullshit!" A yell came from the back of the room followed by the sound of a glass smashing. Everyone turned around to see that it was a young waiter with a buzz cut. "This is bullshit!" He continued as Pamela's assistant Max, a girl with a dark brown bob and large circular glasses stepped forward.
"Sir that's enough."
"Does anyone really believe the Commonwealth cares for all its citizens?" The man spoke before pointing at Pamela. "Do you know who I am?"
Mercer, the Commonwealths head of security discretely pulled his gun from the inside of his suit jacket as the man grabbed a knife from one of the tables and pulled Max into him putting the knife to her throat. There was a chorus of gasps and screams as more security and police appeared.
"This is all you care about." The man continued. "Fancy parties. We're nothing to you, disposable."
He pushed the knife closer and closer to Max's neck and security moved in tighter when suddenly he dropped Max to the floor and ran.
Janie looked next to her to see Kelly frantically writing the events that had just unfolded into a notebook. She aggressively dotted a period on the page before looking up.
"It's better than you thought, huh?" She asked and Janie laughed as she nodded.

- Princexiero xx