Extra 1.1: Alternate ending

Note: The ending if Liang Fei didn't get back together with Xieren when they broke up.

*****

Liang Fei hadn't felt regret in a long time.

He'd accepted his death, understanding that his loved one had moved on and had found happiness after he'd died. He'd reunited with Xieren, fulfilling the promise he'd accidentally broken the day he died the second time as Shao Liang Fei.

But now that ugly sinking feeling of regret was creeping up into his thoughts once more as he watched Xieren standing up upon a platform, waiting for his future spouse.

The regret that it wasn't him who'd be up there with him.

***

When he'd first heard the news, it was shocking, to say the least. He'd only 'broken up' with the younger man a few days prior yet here he was with a fiance in tow.

She was beautiful, courteous, and suited Xieren in ways that he, a man, never could.

When his student had introduced her to the staff, everyone looked at Liang Fei, as if to determine his thoughts. They knew that he and their king had been intimate before so for him to be replaced would surely warrant a reaction right?

Whether this curiosity was due to malice or pity, Liang Fei showed no sadness as he introduced himself to her. His voice was even and calm as he congratulated to two for their union.

For the first time ever, Liang Fei felt grateful for his stoic expression.

Later on, Suyan had come to him and held his hand. Despite his assurance that he wasn't upset, the child stayed by his side, saying nothing.

It was a long night.

Once the day of the wedding came, Liang Fei couldn't keep himself still. Despite everything telling him to do something, the only thing he could think to do is talk to Xieren. About what, he wasn't sure but he felt like he had to say something.

Yet standing before Xieren, seeing him dressed in brilliant red and knowing he would be marrying another closed his throat. Words he wanted to say were trapped as he told himself such things were not for him.

"Xieren..."

Xieren stared back at him, his eyes narrowed but he didn't ask him to leave. After minutes of silence, he sighed.

"Shizun, I'm to be married today."

"...Yes."

"Do you have anything to say about this?"

The two stared at each other, as if any second, they'd speak their hearts and settle the tension between them.

But neither spoke a word.

Xieren's expression fell, despair etching lines of anguish on his handsome face. Liang Fei flinched, reaching out to give comfort. It had been so long since he touched Xieren and-

His hand was smacked away. It was more shocking than painful but made it clear he was being rejected.

"You have nothing to say, Shizun." Xieren snapped, giving the elder a hard look. "There's nothing between us, as you said."

Liang Fei pulled back, looking away. That was what he'd said, wasn't it? He'd cut ties cleanly yet here he was, moments before Xieren married another person. For what? What was he trying to do?

Even Liang Fei himself had no clue.

***

Now Liang Fei was standing amongst the crowd, watching the ceremony. Suyan had given him a questioning look upon his return but still said nothing about it.