Pep Talk

AN: So I've basically just accepted the fact that every chapter title is one I made after writing everything out. As such, even I have no clue where this train is heading but fun times are usually surprises!

Also, for your loving patience, here's a super long chapter. Not edited so help an apple out and let me know what I missed.

*****

Xinyue had been walking around the sect grounds, her chaperones and guide leading them to the sect leaders quarters when she had noticed someone nearby. Even from afar, she could recognize the man she'd met before. 

All throughout the tour, she'd been peeking from behind her fan, hoping to catch sight of Brother Xieren. He had told her he was a member of this sect and by luck, she just so happened to be coming by to visit a family member.

The stars must have predestined their meeting!

Courteously excusing herself, she ran over, wanting to greet the man so they could talk more. Perhaps grow closer since they couldn't before. Yet before she could get close, another woman stepped up to him, their posture intimate and casual.

Very much different from her interaction with the man.

So she called out to them. Seeing the two, it was hard not to pair them. A beautiful young lady who looked soft and amiable next to a strong and tall handsome man. Just looking at them, so close together, one couldn't help but wonder how close they were.

Xinyue immediately saw a rival yet smiled gently.

"Brother Xieren, how fortunate to see you again. It's been some time." She said, greeting him with a smile. She then turned to Xinyi, her eyes considerably less soft. "Ah, and this lovely young lady as well. May I ask your name, elder sister."

Xinyi was initially confused as to why she was feeling so uncomfortable but soon found the source. This young miss was challenging her? Even going so far as to call her 'elder'.

We'll see about that. She thought, returning an equally fake but outwardly sincere looking smile.

"Elder? Please, don't say such silly things." She laughed, waving off her implication. "This little sister wishes to know your name first, since you wish to know mine."

Since this... young miss knew her brother, she wasn't about to let some stranger walk all over her. Xinyue accepted the silent challenge. What kind of sister would she be?

"Un, I am Xinyue, third daughter of the Su clan." She said, greeting Xinyue as was proper. As a young miss from a proper and well established family, her mannerisms were worlds apart from Xinyi, who was of humble birth.

Yet that didn't deter the ever confident Xinyi.

"Xinyi, head apprentice to Elder Zhihao." She said, throwing her own prestige at the young miss before her. If she thought just being born into a noble family was so great, just being born was such a feat, how would she feel when compared to her, a low class girl who earned a coveted spot with effort and talent. "A pleasure to meet you."

"I as well."

The two shared a laugh that sounded jovial but Xieren could feel the tension boiling between the two. Part of him wanted to run, confused at why those smiles never reached their eyes. His chance to escape however passed him by when the two girls turned him.

You should have run when you had the chance, his male instincts told him. Still, he chose to remain, mostly due to having no means of escape. He was stuck between the two girls and his best friend, the tree.