Great Teacher Liang Fei

AN: I'm kinda tempted to start titling these chapters cause fun is coming. This chapter would probably be titled: Dreaded Red Pot Soup

*****

The next few days were a blur for Xieren, as he slipped in and out of consciousness. During the few moments of clarity, he recalled someone sitting beside him, feeding him though he couldn't recall a taste and speaking gentle words to him.

It was the best feeling ever.

He could even vaguely recall a melody being hummed, making him think Tankian had come to visit, but surely not. They weren't in town. He was back at the sect, being locked away.

It was a few days after when his fever broke and he was strong enough to get out of bed. As expected he was alone.

He'd kind of hoped that the person caring for him would be there so he could properly thank them.

Sighing, he took in a breath and felt his heart stop.

It was clean air.

Looking around, he noted that he was in his room but it looked nothing like what he'd remember it being. Despite it being little more than a shack, Xieren had tried to make it livable. The floor was cleaned whenever he had the chance and He made sure to keep a window open to let in some fresh air.

But there were limits to what could be done to such a rundown shack. Xieren was a child, not a contracted, so when damage was done to the structure, he could do little more than just cover it up. As such, the shack was full of holes and leaks.

Except, it wasn't anymore.

The shack was still the same but the holes he covered with cloth and bark had been covered and sealed, blocking off the leaks that Xieren had grown used to. For the first time in months, the child woke up to a relatively warm room rather than an ever present draft.

Looking around, he saw that the room had been cleaned up, with nary a item out of place.

Xieren was still reeling from shock when two different smells hit him at once.

One was the familiar scent of tea that Xinyi always brewed him. It was mint tea, just as he prefered. He could even smell the hint of sugar she always snuck in cause of her own notorious sweet tooth.

Xieren sighed, happy that the person who cared for him was her. Anyone else might be tempted to poison him or worse.

The unfamiliar scent was from a bowl of soup sitting beside the tea. It looked normal and smelled delicious. It's was just...

Why was it so ominously red?!

Wary, Xieren took a step closer, taking in the scent once more. It smelled spicy, the spices burning his nose a bit. But it also smelled good so...

Taking that first bite... Xieren thought he was going to die. It took everything he could to swallow the soup and even then, felt like death was coming for him.

He ate all the rice, trying to stave off the spice from his tongue. As he tried to catch his breath, he stared at the still full bowl, his wariness increasing.

What an evil brew.

It was dangerously spicy, too much for anyone to stomach more than a single bite. Just the thought of it brought tears to his eyes. Except...

It was also really delicious!!!

Xieren was no cook, so to ask why he loved it would be like asking a child to explain brain surgery but one thing was for sure. Xieren wanted more.