Save Me

AN: On of these days, I've gotta get around to making a proper cover for this story. I love Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian as much as the next girl but I want it to be my own thing.

Also, sorry for the wait, had some writers block since things are straying from my original plan so some major revisions had to be made. Thanks for the patience.

*****

Liang Fei had eventually left Xieren to his own devices, since he had matters to attend to elsewhere. He had hoped he'd hear some kind of response, since he had been doing his best to encourage the young man yet all he got was silence.

For whatever reason, his best student was almost always in a daze. It was concerning to Liang Fei, since such actions were bound to lead to problems for the child.

"Second uncle."

He had heard how such obliviousness could lead to dangerous outcomes. What if he got lost? What if he got cornered by some hooligan!? Truly, he had to teach Xieren to pay more attention to his surroundings.

"Second uncle?"

He did briefly wonder where he'd gone wrong with him. All his other students were aware and active but not Xieren for some reason. Constantly, the young man would stare at him in a stupor, making him worried the child was struck dumb. But how come? Where did he get this lackadaisical attitude from-

"Second Uncle, are you listening?!" Xinyue called out for the nth time since noticing the older man staring into space. She knew he wasn't listening, it was clear as day, yet she couldn't help but call out.

Liang Fei blinked at her, wondering why she was speaking so loudly. Was that a thing nieces did toward their second uncles? Perhaps fantasy novels held different standards?

Must be. He concluded, nodding his head sagely. As usual, he failed to notice his own flaws and just assumed others were the ones who was strange.

(AN: this is probably another reason he wasn't super popular with girls)

Xinyue held in her grimace, not sure how to respond to the man. This was their first meeting yet she felt strangely tired just talking to him. He was very different from what she expected.

Shao Liang Fei was not her blood related uncle but a dear friend of her own father, so they were seen as family. Her father had been gracious enough to allow her to visit her second uncle in his stead since he was too busy with other matters. She had been excited to meet the man her father saw as a brother since he (her father) was notoriously hard to please.

Yet the man before her was nothing like what she expected. The aura around second uncle was like a deep and still pond, drawing you in and almost lulling you to sleep. He was very stoic, to the point where not a single thought could be seen on his face or in his eyes. Even when she had drew him from his thoughts moments ago, his expression remained serene.

It was a bit bewildering.

It was only because Xinyue was a noble miss and raised to remained poised that she didn't show how flustered she truly was. Still, faced with this man, she was glad she hadn't come alone. It might be too much to deal with by herself.

"Second uncle, we were discussing Father." Xing He stated, sitting beside his cousin. Unlike her, he had met this uncle before so he felt a bit more comfortable.

At least, he thought he would. This man was different from what he could remember but he couldn't say why. Looking him in the eye, he felt a strange sense of unease. Unconsciously, he touched his wrist.

"Yes." Liang Fei remained aloof, not noticing at all how awkward he was making his two guests. The two flinched, a bit taken aback at the silence that followed. Was that it? That wasn't the reply they expected and now they were at a loss. Were they supposed to repeat themselves? Push for a response? What?