Gilded cage

AN: Due to popular demand, a double update for you all super frustrated by the previous chapter. I can't promise any relief but I can provide you with this~

*****

When Xuejie saw the carriage returning to the castle that evening, he was overjoyed. His bro returning meant that Liang Fei was with him and if that guy was around, Xieren would be in a much better mood.

The prayers of those who wanted the royal consorts' return was finally answered.

So imagine his surprise when he saw that rather than a sickening intimate performance occurring between the two, the tension was even worse.

Xieren looked close to killing someone as he dragged Liang Fei into the castle. The latter looked no more pleased, his brows furrowed as he followed behind their king with clear reluctance.

Stranger still was the small boy lingering close by, his little legs struggling to keep up with Xierens long strides.

Xuejie: "..."

What kind of weird parade is this?

***

The trio stormed through the halls, their path unimpeded as no one dared utter a word as they passed. When they had finally reached the king's bedchamber, Xieren turned to Suyan with a heavy glare.

"Are you planning on following us to our bedroom?" He growled, growing tired of this little nuisance.

Liang Fei was quick to correct him. "Your bedroom."

Xieren glared at the elder.

"Shizun-" He started, only to be interrupted by suyan, who fearlessly stared up at the two with crossed arms,

"I'm following uncle, not you." He stated, raising his chin. If one ignored the size difference, it could be seen as a challenge. An adorable challenge.

Xieren, however, was not amused.

"This is my castle." He growled, ignoring the child's subtle shiver. "You will go where I order."

Suyan opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Liang Fei, who had grown weary of all this drama.

He and Xieren had to talk.

"Xieren, stop it." He snapped, giving Xieren a warning look that the junior was wise to heed. If there was any bottom line Liang Fei had, Xieren knew well when not to touch it.

Liang Fei crouched down until he and Suyan were face to face.

"Xiao Yan, this uncle and I have things to discuss. Please go with those nice uncles over there." He said as he pointed to the few servants brave enough to stay close by. They might die for making a peep but they would surely die if they were needed but unavailable.

Suyan didn't even glance at them, his worried gaze riveted on Liang Fei.

"Will you be okay?"

"Of course." He assured without hesitation. "This is but a small matter."

Besides, he knew Xieren would never hurt him. He'd tire him out and embarrass him but never would his Xieren harm him.

This was something he wholeheartedly believed.

Suyan frowned, glancing between the two adults before hesitantly walking away. He wanted to intrude but Uncle had made it clear that this was something between them.

Liang Fei watched him go, waiting until the child was out of sight before entering their room. He did this so often, he'd long since stopped considering it Xieren's room.