Best intentions

AN: Apologies for the late update. This apple has been distracted by anime and drama's. I might have joined recently joined a fandom that involves owls and it might have influence this chapter a bit.

******

Xieren had gone to bed in the most pleasant mood. His beloved had been very good to him over the last few days, spoiling him in ways that he was sure meant he'd made some progress.

Shizun gave him 'goodbye kisses' without having to be asked.

Bringing him a hellish brew he called 'coffee' to his office.

Even letting him play around and touch him in said office when no one was watching.

Truly, it was the best few days of Xieren's life. While his master's face never changed, he could tell the man was also enjoying himself.

So when he woke up alone in bed, he was only mildly upset.

When he learned that Shizun wasn't in the castle at all, he was mad.

When he learned that Shizun had waltzed out the capital's gates hours prior, he was furious.

His good mood was taking quite the beating. Yet those who told him this news were in a worse state. How were they to know the human wasn't allowed to leave?! Their king had doted on the man for weeks now so who would dare go against the human's wishes?

This left Xieren in a rage, seeking out the one person he knew had something to do with this.

***

Hours prior

"You want to do what now?"

Xuejie had been watching over Liang Fei all morning. The man had been standing outside his bedroom for god knows how long, waiting for him to leave.

Having that kind of jumpscare so early in the morning took a few decades off the man's heart.

Yet hearing the man's request was even more concerning.

"You said before that Xieren has my sword, correct?" Liang Fei pressed, watching Xuejie nod. "May I have it back? I need it."

"I hear all that but why do you need it?" He cried as he led the man to the sanctum. That place was filled with Xieren's most prized possessions. The only one allowed access was Xieren but Xuejie, being a reader, knew how to get in too.

He would take that to his grave if allowed.

Liang Fei said nothing, following Xuejie. What he wanted was a means of defending himself. While his cultivation had risen with the 'help' of Xieren, he was absolutely helpless in a fight. He could take down a mortal but in this world, how often would the threat he'd be facing be that simple?

He needed his sword back, even if the thing was nothing but a club.

When they arrived, the sanctum was curiously already open. Neither man questioned it, as it made things easier. Within, there was a lot of stuff. Books and paintings that looked vaguely familiar to Liang Fei. Hadn't he read most of these books already?

"Over here!" Laing Fei turned back to Xuejie, waving off the sense of nostalgia as he followed after the man.

Encased in an ornate coffin, he felt a familiar buzz go through him. It was a familiar feeling, one he'd grown used to feeling whenever he got too far from the blade.

He supposed he should be thankful. He had gotten a few years (weeks) free from this clingy sword. A whole decade in the eyes of others but to Liang Fei, it had only been a few weeks since this sword followed him to the grave.