Best Wife*

AN: This chapter came out a lot longer than I thought it was going to. But in exchange, we have Spice! Like, this went places I didn't think it would go but... I guess that's what happened.

Seriously, my stories sometimes go off the rails and I can't stop it. Enjoy~

*****

Xuejie, as second in command to the demon king of the realm, had free reign over the castle. Even if others dared not go near, Xuejie was fearless and walked with confidence and purpose.

That is, until he nearly tripped over a prone Liang Fei sitting in the middle of the hall.

The elder man didn't even flinch as Xuejie nearly jumped out of his skin. If anything, the man didn't seem to notice Xuejie was even there as he sat cross-legged on the floor.

Xuejie stared down at the man, wondering once again if this person was normal. Sitting in the middle of hallways like a lump on a log was not normal.

Then again, perhaps this guy had never been normal.

"Uh..." Xuejie looked around before deciding to crouch down beside Liang Fei. Aloof violet eyes landed on the man. "What are you doing?"

"Thinking."

"In the middle of the hallway?" Xuejie deadpanned with a raised brow.

"Ah?" The elder looked around, seeming to only have then noticed he had sat down at some point. "Right, my mistake. I had gotten distracted and-"

"Say no more. It's the usual then." Xuejie sighed, having somewhat come to accept this guy's weird habit of drifting off. If he pressed any harder, he was sure he'd go crazy. "So what were you thinking about?"

"I wish to help Xieren in some way." He replied, choosing to leave out the task given to him. It didn't matter much anyway. "I tried to help during his meeting but I was told I should stay out of it."

Xuejie paled.

"Meeting? Did you speak during one of bros' meetings with the ministers?!" He cried, looking terrified when Liang Fei nodded. "Dude, are you crazy? Those guys absolutely despise humans."

"I noticed." He hummed, getting to his feet.

They could barely hide their disdain for him when Liang Fei was speaking. If not for Xieren, he was sure he wouldn't have even made it through the door.

Xuejie grimaced, looking ready to tear his hair out with frustration. Why was this guy so blase about all this?! Did he not know how close to death he was then?

How did Bro deal with this lackadaisical stone face!? How did he not go crazy?

"Yeah, well it would be best if you kept out of their sight." He cautioned, face-palming as he felt a rush of pity surge through him for his friend. "For safety?"

"But Miss Min was there and speaking."

He recalled how she had been allowed to speak without any concern. The belligerent elders allowed her, never even turning a sour look toward her even when she conceded to Liang Fei's opinion.

Why was she allowed to speak if he wasn't?

"Min Leilian is a special case." Xuejie explained. "Her clan was made up of some kind of ancient bloodline that is revered by the demon clan. I honestly don't know much about it personally."

What went unsaid was the fact that due to her powerful bloodline, Min Leilian was the favored pick to be the king's bride. All the ministers were waiting for the day they finally heard the news of their union. To unite the direct descendent of the previous king and the firstborn of sacred blood.