Innocence lost

AN: So I feel mixed on the title thing. On one hand it's fun since I can do as I like but on the other, some chapters don't have titles until I'm done writing so it's hard to for me to come up with one.

*****

Unsurprisingly, the results of his mini tournament were quickly determined without much fuss, though the initial number of disciples dropped dramatically after his speech.

The three chosen was Kang Su, water elemental, Xuejie, Wind elemental and Xieren, fire elemental.

All in all, Liang Fei was impressed by his disciples performance. Each was very strong and Liang Fei was tempted to have them all represent him but that was not possible. Too bad.

Liang Fei was about to return home when he was stopped by Xieren, who stared up at him expectantly. The two stared at one another for a while, both waiting for the other to speak.

After a minute, Xieren broke the silence.

"Shizun, did I do well?" He asked, wanting to be praised. He'd fought hard and had wanted to impress the man in front of him. He might not be able to defeat Shizun but he could show himself to be his strongest disciple.

Liang Fei sighed, not sure how to respond. Xieren did indeed do well but...

His fighting style was a bit wild.

Liang Fei felt bit responsible, recognizing some of the moves he'd used during the match. It was the ones he used when fighting as Tankian. Part of him was impressed he(XR) could mimic him so well though he(LF) was mostly concerned. While he'd refrained from the more underhanded moves he (LF) used, it was still very clearly feral.

Watching the fight was like watching a mauling.

Still, Xieren had the kind of grace that allowed even such savagery to look as elegant as a waltz so perhaps only he noticed it. Others seemed more impressed with his speed and ferocity, which was impressive.

"It was... a fight." He replied, a bit unsure how to express his feelings just then. He was proud that his student was so strong but a bit concerned about how much he'd(XR) picked up from him(LF).

Xieren wasn't sure what that response meant but felt like it wasn't a positive thing.

Thinking back to his brief matches, he knew he'd fought a bit more recklessly than usual. He had struck hard and fast so he could finish the match quickly. He wanted to be the last one standing.

He very much showed off his less than ideal self and perhaps Shizun was disappointed? Would he dislike a student like him?

"Did... did I do something wrong?" He mumbled, meekly looking up at the man before him. He briefly recalled that Shizun liked cute things and while he had grown some, perhaps he could still get a reaction?

As expected, Liang Fei softened a little, his brows relaxing just a bit. Xieren inwardly sighed with relief.

"It's nothing like that." He assured, resting a hand on the young man's shoulder, much to his(XR) disappointment. He assumed the head pat from before meant he'd get more but now the man was actively avoiding doing so.

He'd just work harder.

Unaware of the unspoken challenge that had been taken up by his student, Liang Fei continued.

"I just hope you are prepared to compete as passionately as you did today. You will be fighting against tougher students after this."

"Shizun doesn't think I can do it?" He pouted, wanting the man to look at him.