Snakes in the grass

AN: Super very sorry for the late update. Things have been crazy~

*****

Min Leilian was a noble miss, trained from a very young age to show little to no reaction to surprises. It was unladylike to gasp or show weakness, especially to one's enemies.

It had served her well since the day she chose to change her fate yet she now found herself faltering at the sight of this man. The feeling of wrongness she sensed as she stared into his violet eyes was... a bit familiar.

Who was this man?

"Have we met before, my lord?" She asked, her tone soft and light despite her mind racing to figure out why he seemed familiar.

Liang Fei flinched, realizing his mistake. He hadn't expected to see the young miss again so he ended up saying her name by accident.

"I... was told about you by Xieren." He stated, looking away. It wasn't entirely a lie. Xieren had mentioned he'd see a few familiar faces while in the Darklands. He just hadn't mentioned any names.

"You are... familiar with His Majesty?" She pressed, smiling tightly. It had been a long time since she heard anyone call the king by name. Even Xuejie, his second in command, didn't dare to speak so casually.

Yet this stranger spoke his name so easily.

"We are... both members of the same sect so we speak of one another as you saw." He explained, really wanting to get off the subject. He didn't want anyone to know their true relationship lest it becomes a burden on Xieren. "I will make sure not to stain his reputation from now on."

Leilian stared back at the man, her brows furrowed as she tried to place him. His face was completely unfamiliar but she sensed he wasn't supposed to be here. It was the same feeling she got from Xuejie and that other man from long ago.

They didn't belong here.

She had come to realize a lot of things when she took her place by His Majesty's side. Glimpses of what could have been and perhaps fate itself. She couldn't comprehend it herself but she could see things had changed somehow.

And she knew there were those who just didn't belong.

She had tried to get rid of Xuejie before but eventually let him off as he posed no danger to her. He was an idiot, swayed by pretty faces and empty words. Better so, since he seemed to be able to speak to the king in ways she couldn't so he was useful.

Then there was that other man from long ago, the first to not belong. While the matter was handled recklessly, it had worked out for her. His death ensured her survival.

Many had fallen to ensure her continued survival. Many were just those who heard or saw too much but if she was to change her fate, it couldn't be helped.

This Lord Fei, it turned out, was just another obstacle in the way of her goal.

"I'm glad Lord Fei is so understanding." She said, her expression serene and sweet. Seeing such a lovely face, most men would flush and stammer as they tried to come up with a response.

Liang Fei on the other hand could only blink back at her, mildly confused. He wasn't sure why but he felt like there was an underlying meaning to her words. He just had no idea what it could be.

Before another word could be said, the air was swamped with a sudden wave of heat. As if flames had sucked the air from the hall. Two pairs of eyes turned, the third shivering on the floor as she struggled to breathe.

There was nothing in the hall other than the trio, making Leilian frown as she tried to figure out what had occurred.

"Xieren?" The elder said, regaining the woman's attention once more. Somehow, the man was now being embraced by her king, his body almost swallowed whole by the man's robes.