Winging it

AN: Thank you, kind readers for being so patient with this lazy apple. As a treat, here's a longer chapter.

*****

The two stared at one another for a while, nothing being said as the wind blew between them. Liang Fei wanted to speak first, since it was rude not to but he also wanted to hear what the girl had to say. From her expression, she seemed like the type to run if he said anything.

Thus they were stuck staring at each other.

Xinyi flinched when she saw Master Liang Fei turn his cold eyes toward her. Looking away, she struggled to get the words she needed to say out before he punished her for bothering him. She had never been on the receiving end of any of his 'punishments' but had heard of them. Just today he tasked some disciples to run laps around the sect grounds. The distance from one end to another was enough to tire out even the most fit but to circle the sect? That was near suicide. Who knows why he did it but it still made the young girl nervous.

Unconsciously, her hand went to her waist, palming a sachet tied there. Squeezing it released a quick and sudden burst of fragrance meant to calm ones heart. Taking it in, she relaxed and turned to look up once more, only to find Liang Fei staring down at her.

Surprised by his sudden and unheard approach, Xinyi tried to back away, only to trip on her uniform and fall. She hit the ground and tried to move away, her eyes briefly looking around to see if anyone else was nearby.

To say she was scared would be an understatement. While Master Liang Fei was a distinguished and upright man, even he was subject to rumors and hearsay. Said things whispered about were not, in any way, good. It was why Xinyi was so reluctant to take on this task. Had she not been nearby when Master Jinyi needed someone fetch Master Liang Fei, she would be back in her room, studying by herself.

Closing her eyes, she waited for his next move, sure that he would either chastise her for bothering him or punish her for it. Either way, what could she, a small alchemist do against him, a well known Cultivator?

As Xinyi imagined her own death a dozen times, Liang Fei stared down at her with a frown. When she'd fallen, he'd failed to catch her, the action of helping someone about to fall apparently not being one of his new muscle memory things. This said a lot about the original. Afterward, he'd offered her a hand, still not speaking since she seemed really nervous for some reason.

Seeing her shiver with her eyes closed, Liang Fei felt bad. Not just because he seemed to have scared her despite not meaning to but because he still found her to be cute even then. She was like a small animal, too scared to move and too scared to run. Scolding himself for such selfish thoughts, he decided to ease the tension.

"Laying down like that, one might think you are welcome mat and walk all over you." He stated, trying to get a smile out of her. To him, the statement was funny, making his eyes glow with amusement even as his face remained still and calm. To her, her mind stopped, trying to understand his words.

Welcome mat?

Looking up, Xinyi finally noticed Liang Fei's extended hand. Her eyes darted between the hand and his face, trying to see if there was anything more to this. Not seeing anything, she took his hand warily, letting herself be lifted off the ground.

"You're not hurt, are you?" Liang Fei asked, wanting to see if she was okay. He figured she should be, since the fall wasn't that serious but the girl seemed very delicate and small. Who knew what could hurt her?

"Your concern greatly comforts this disciple, Master Shao." She replied, finally bowing after all this time. Anyone else would have chewed her out for forgetting but Liang Fei, not knowing it was a thing, let it pass. "Xinyi apologizes for bothering Master Shao."