Chapter 2

While it was true that Oscar didn't mind Jeanette acting reserved and not really making any effort, for this very reason, he wasn't really dying to be in her presence.

After their short introduction, no more words were spoken between them and when the first lesson had ended, Oscar scrambled off to other corners of the class, talking to people who actually talked back with as much enthusiasm, instantly clicking with the boys and charming the girls.

He only returned back to her when the bell rang, signaling the start of the next class, offering her a smile as he sat, and was silent just like her during the whole lesson, and he left again the next break.

Jeanette pursed her lips. Great, so he probably doesn't want to be friends with me anymore.

She sighed and narrowed her eyes, determined to try talking to him the next period.

Well, she wanted to do it, but it wasn't only until lunch that she finally found the courage to do so.

"Do you want to eat lunch together? I could show you were the canteen is and stuff," she nervously fumbled for the words and glanced at the boy for a second to find him staring at her. She looked down into her lap.

"Sorry," he apologetically smiled, "but I've already promised to go with some other people."

Her head shot up. "No, that's okay!" It came off worse than she had intended to say it, her voice sounding way too happy and fake.

The boy replied with another soft smile. "Perhaps we can go together next time." With those words, he was gone, already exiting the classroom with her classmates.

Of course he'd rather choose them. They're way more nice and interesting than me.

She quietly walked to the canteen by herself, got some food and sat by herself at one of the tables to eat. She was used to being alone from a young age, and learned long ago not to let stuff like this get to her and hurt her. Still, she couldn't help but wish to be different, imagine how it would be to be normal. From the corner of her eye, she could see Oscar and her classmates eating and laughing loudly, bundled together at one of the tables.

Why can't I be just like them?

Ever since she was a child, she just had trouble getting along with others.

Maybe it was because of how she had grown up, or maybe simply because of her lacking personality when she always seemed not to care about anyone.