Chapter 4

She hopelessly clutched to her fork. She had learned long ago not to become affected by this, by her peers leaving her out, ignoring her, refusing to be with her, yet she couldn't stop the particular feeling lingering in her chest.

A strong feeling, a desire to change herself.

She watched on silently as her classmates laughed and suddenly felt no more appetite. Leaving her almost untouched food on the plate, she threw out her thrash and scurried outside.

There was no use pitying herself, but it sure was hard not to when she clearly saw the people from her class having so much fun around her. When she saw what she was missing out on.

Even Oscar could befriend everyone, and it was his first day here - why couldn't she do so, when it was already their third year?

She envied those energetic and bubbly people who were so nice everyone instantny took a liking to them. She envied those people who made the room light up when they walked in through the door.

Jeanette only made the atmosphere dimmer.

Pursing her lips and frowning slightly, she strolled around the yard to behind the school building, hoping to pass time there before their afternoon lesson starts.

The afternoon class is my last chance to fix his impression of me. If no, he'll always remember me as some antisocial loner after today.

Carrying out conversations was hard for Jeanette, but she can try.

This was her chance to show someone the image she wanted to show to people so they won't see her as weird and lonely. This was her chance to make someone see her in different light than everyone else.

She walked back and forth next to the brick wall of the building briskly.

She just wanted to show someone she wasn't really that bad as people generally thought her to be.

She couldn't change her classmates' impression of her, they met her such a long time ago and she didn't really do anything to prove them wrong, anyway.

But she only met Oscar today and her behavior could have come off only as shy.

She still had a chance with him.