Chapter 35

He asked her to sleep over at his house.

"That's what best friends do, right?" were his words.

But are we even best friends anymore?

Jeanette wasn't sure if she wanted to - but it felt like her duty to agree after him calling them best friends.

It felt different when the words 'best friends' left him mouth. It rang in Jeanette's ears differently than when she had thought it. Before, she'd love it if he said such words about them.

Now, it was as if she loathed them.

Their echo, sharp and mocking, continued to dwell in her head long after.

She said yes.

Now, she only somehow needed to tell her parents. If she was lucky enough, they wouldn't care. But on some days, they were unbearable. Some days, it felt to her as if they wanted nothing more than to leave her somewhere on her own and never come back for her. As if it was such a bother to them to feed her, let her live under the same roof and clothe her.

Some days, she regretted being born.

Nevertheless, she had to tell their parents about the sleep over, convince them to let her go. If she was lucky, they'd be glad to get her off their chests for at least a little while.

If she wasn't, well, she was in for some loud anger and convincing.

She braced herself and took a deep breath.

"Mom? Can I sleep over at my friend's?"

Her mother was looking into her phone, sitting on the couch. She seemed to pay no mind to her daughter.

Jeanette tried one more time, cautiously, "can I?"

Her mother made a noise, presumably of agreement for the sake of Jeanette stopping bothering her. It was obvious she wasn't actually listening to what she had asked. If she did, she would question the term Jeanette had used - friends. Her parents were very well aware of her previous social situation.

Without any further ado, Jeanette let the matter go with a deep breath of relief. Her mother didn't protest, meaning she might as well go until her father comes home to ruin her plans.

She packed her pyjamas in a heartbeat and fleed, running to the bus stop to catch the bus, finding Oscar waiting for her at the stop she was supposed to get off.

She was nervous and had no idea what to expect. Also, was it not a little weird for him to suddenly invite her over like that after everything?

She stepped out from the bus into the fresh air and Oscar waved at her, her stomach flipping.

This is going to be one hell of a night.