Chapter 37

She had trouble falling asleep.

The whole evening and night carried itself in a strange atmosphere, barely holding on, but she managed to push herself.

Oscar, he was as chirpy and happy as ever.

When the nighttime fell, he set the bed for her and he settled onto a mattress on the ground which he had brought in, she nestled into the covers.

But no matter how hard she tried, no matter how soft and comfortable the bed felt, she couldn't fall asleep.

"What's wrong?" came his quiet whispers. He must've heard her constant fidgeting.

"It's nothing," she replied just as silently.

"I know something's troubling you." His head sprang up to look at her. In the dark of the room, she could only see the outlines of his face and features. "You know you can tell me everything."

She remained silent. She turned her head to look at him as well and stared at him wordlessly. They were both waiting.

Tears brimmed in her eyes.

Did she want to say it? Say what's on her mind?

She still wasn't completely sure what she wanted.

Break off their friendship and drift apart, forget about him?

Continue this no matter how it makes her feel?

She wasn't sure if her feelings were valid. If she had the right to feel them.

A lone tear escaped, rolled down her cheek and she hastily dried it with the sleeve of her pyjama shirt.

She sniffed.

Oscar sat up straighter.

She backed away.

He leaned closer.

"I think we should stop being friends."

There, she said it. It was over. The words were out and she could not take them back.