Chapter 7

It was only when Jeanette came home that the realization dawned on her.

She invited someone to her house.

She invited a boy to her house.

To their house.

I can't possibly let someone come over!

It wasn't because their house would be small, ugly and dirty. No, their house was fairly big and well enough for the three of them - four, with the dog. It was quite nice as well, with her room decorated as she pleased, with her own drawings or posters or photos.

But not only was this the first time she had invited someone over, but she did so in a haste, not really thinking about it at the very moment - she'd never had anyone come over and she wasn't sure what her parents would say.

Would they be mad? Or would they not care? Would they yell?

Because she definitely didn't want anyone to see the way her family is.

She didn't want anyone to see the relationship between them.

She was ashamed of it.

Sure, even if someone came over, they wouldn't probably meet Jeanette's parents anyway as they worked until late evening. But there was still a chance which she didn't want to risk.

Or maybe Oscar didn't really mean it.

She hoped he did, though.

If he did and actually wanted to meet her dog, maybe they could just go for a walk outside. She didn't have to necessarily bring him inside the house, she pondered.

I'll ask in school tomorrow.

And as she planned, she asked him the next day, "so, would you wanna come and meet Jeff sometime?"

It was seemingly an innocent question, nothing too important to swear about and yet Jeanette's heart beat unnaturally fast when the words left her mouth.

She was afraid Oscar could her the loud erratic thumping of her heart.

He looked at her as he set his bag down. He came to class only a few seconds ago and Jeanette greeted him at once - she just wanted to be done it with, so she quickly asked after he greeted back.

"Well, yeah! It'd be great!" he replied in a cheerful tone. "How 'bout tomorrow?"

So soon?

He must've seen the alarmed and unsure look on her face because he rushed to add, "only if it's not a problem, of course, and you don't have anything else... We can meet up any other day as well, it's fine!"

She shook her head along with her hands at him. "No, I mean you can!" Her hands were clammy from sweat, she was nervous.

Oscar nodded at her with a glee, "alright, it's settled, then," before skipping away to some of her other classmates, leaving Jeanette alone.

But it was the first time she didn't actually mind being alone.

She smiled widely, not quite able to believe that someone actually maybe liked her and wanted to spend time with her.

All her other classmates thought of her as a loner, as weird, as a freak not caring about anyone, after all.

Oscar, he seemed to want to be friends just as much as she did.